Thread: Confused about whether to delay immunisation

Default Confused about whether to delay immunisation

I'm really confused about the MMR Immunisation, and when to get it done. Not immunising is not an option for me.

I want to have the MMR separated but have been told this is not possible in Australia, I have checked with the RCH to be sure and they confirmed this as well.

DS is due for his 12 month immunisations, and had his 12 month check-up today, so I was discussing it with my MCHN. She said to think about delaying the MMR and having the other 2 injections first, and to have the MMR later (but before 18 months).

She said that people tend to rush in to have them, and that 3 injections at once is a bit much, but also said that if he did get measles or mumps it would be really dangerous, and that mumps could cause sterility!

So now I am more confused than ever. Before she said that, I was happy to wait at least til 15 months for the MMR, but now I'm really not sure.

I know there are some members who feel that the MMR has affected their child/rens health, and would like to know if anyone delayed this immunisation, until what age, etc...

I'm sure I read that Christy got Matilda's MMR done separately but she had to order them in specially and it cost quite a bit... maybe ask her about it??

Jenna had all hers at the same time. I actually was OK with doing it this way - I think the longer you drag them out, the more they remember if that makes sense?
    Jenna really did know about her 18m needles - there is a consciousness about what is happening that wasn't there earlier. Luckily its a couple of years before they need anymore, so she can get over it all and have fun trips to the dr again before needing another needle.

I'd personally be a little worried about splitting them, and dragging out the inevitable? Specially if you have a sensative soul. They might remember from 15m to 18m, and be a right bugger at the next set.

I guess you have to weigh up the good with the bad??

I read on another forum that it is possible to order the vaccines in separately from NZ and have a health professional administer them. They are apparently not "bundled" together there. Beyond that I have no further info, but perhaps you could Google it and see what they do there?

Rayl don't go to a centre. Go to a dr, they will still bulk bill for immunisations and they will do it in 3 seperate lots I'm getting Seth done this way, and my dr is fine with it.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Hi RayRay,
    to you this can be a really tough one and sometimes it's really difficult to access information.
    I don't believe you can separate MMR in Australia. So, this isn't an option for you.

MMR can have side affects and I am the mother of a child who had a marked reaction. It has to be clearly stated that horrible side affects are not usual. Having said that they do happen. Luckily my daughter seems to not have any long term noticable benefits to date.

Just like contracting measles or mumps - your child could be one that has a mild "childhood" illness or it could be one that suffers a complication from immunisation. Or it could be like the thousands of children that don't. That's not very helpful I know...

My concern is the long term affect it can have on the immune system. We have never in recorded health history seen so many autoimmune diseases as we do now. I am not saying that this is solely due to our early immunisation plan but I am not prepared to cast aside the notion either. I personally question bombarding our childrens bodies with synthetic chemicals and products such as those that are in vaccinations especially when they themselves have such a young and as yet "virgin" immune system.

I personally am an advocate for late vaccine - at least later than is recommended by the government. However, that is largely due to my own experience with my elder child.

If your child is breastfed she will be recieving huge benefits from your own immunity. Many countries advocate that immunisation programmes begin between 12-18 months. This appears to show fewer "reactions".

This is one of those really tough ones that only you and your babies father can make. I really empathise with you as it can be really hard.

I immunised my eldest daughter fully but not for many years. My son is now 6 and has had his first few vaccines with no reaction that was noticable.

I get really nervous answering these posts as people seem to be very polarised about this issue. I frankly am a fence sitter. I can see the benefits of mass immunisation but I am not willing to offer my children up early.

If I can do anything to help. Please let me know...

Yeah I'm starting to think (thanks to ray) that my Dr may have misunderstood me And meant as in separate injections but not actually separating the MMR injection... if that makes sense. All the documentation I've found supports Deb in that in Aus they do not separate the MMR.

Sorry for the misunderstanding... but I will double check to be sure.

*hugs*
    Cailin