Thread: constipated??

Default constipated??

I think ds is constipated because he keeps crying when he does his poo and then its just a big ball of poo in his nappy, quite hard, the consistency of play dough. what can i do to help him? he is only 7 months old.

Hi sirenz, i give my DD a couple of prunes everyday to keep things moving. I break them up and she loves them, if you prefer you can mash them up in food. You can do that, or even some prune juice mixed into food is good.
    Avoid consitipating foods like Banana, bread, etc. More fruit and veg is the go.
    I also give my DD a little water with her meals. Mainly so she gets the hang of a cup, but i am sure it helps.
    GL.

I would also puree prunes in a meal or two each day for a couple of days (say 2-3 pitted prunes each meal). If no changes, see your GP before it gets worse.

My son has issues with constipation and has had since he was a baby. My tips are:

- as much water as possible
    - prunes if you can get them to eat them
    - prune juice (about 10ml to 100ml water and increase as needed). The best is if you boil some prunes in a small amount of water and then use that water dilated. Otherwise use the juice from the supermarket
    - pears (tinned or fresh)
    - licorice (best brand you can buy) if bubs will eat it
    - if all else fails, then get a gentle laxative from the chemist (my son preferred Coloxyl)

HTH and good luck.

DD gets constipated quite easily. We avoid any iron enriched cereals and bananas. She eats lots of pears and has a tablespoon of prune juice in her weetbix every morning. We also try and get her to drink about 100mL of water each day now she is on solids.

DD takes a mixture of natural oils called Mega Oil for her eczema, and I noticed it really got her 'moving' as well. It's in the fridge section at the chemist.

thanks ladies.. he is now doing normal poo's. I didn't get a chance to try out anything, but will give the prunes a go next time

I had no idea that bananas would cause constipation. This is one of ds favourite foods to eat.