Thread: constipation

Default constipation

DS is really constipated, all the time. Mostly he goes maybe 1 time in 3 days.
    I have tried lots of fruit, changing the milk that we use, chamomile baths, lots of fluids, more fibre etc. nothing seems to work, and I dont know whats causing it or what to try next!

on a normal day he eats:

breakfast -either weetbix, rice bubbles or oats. Sometimes toast with vegemite as well
    morning tea - fruit
    lunch - sandwiches, tuna bake, zucchini slice, spaghetti etc
    afternoon tea - fruit and/or yoghurt
    dinner - rice, stirfry, pasta, casserole, mild curry

I also dont know if, now that he is toilet training, he is a bit scared to do poos on the potty? But I figured if it were this he'd be going at night or something, when he has a nappy on.

Ray, when he goes to the toilet, is he straining and having trouble passing the stool? If not, this could just be a change in his pattern. Some people do only go every couple of days whilst others are every day...

BUT, if he is constipated, there are specific foods you can try such as apricots and pears. I saw recently in the supermarket that Berri makes an apple and pear juice. DH bought it for something different and, can I just say, it got the bowels in this house moving pretty quickly!!! It might be worth a shot if you're concerned.

HTH

MG

i've always found a few good feed of sultanas get things moving if it is constipation (not so much that they end up with a pain in the stomach though) , also as MG said apple or apple and pear juice are another that helps things along also.

Of course there is the geriatric favourite of prunes but I give sultanas a try first cause they are usually more ameniable to children.

As MG said though it may just be him but if he is showing the other signs of constipation and you are concerned you could see your pharamacist or doctor as I believe there is stuff you can get especially for kids.

My Son too has the same problem. And when he finally does a poo it is so huge. Our Paedatrician told me to give him parachoc at first it was working but now it doesnt seem to be. I was going to ring the dr up today and see if I can get Jordy in to see him.

it comes in cycles, and will go for weeks at a time, then we think everything has normalised and it happens again.

its definitely uncomfy for him and they're like rocks

I think I might talk to the doctor about it, we have to go for something else anyway, and he if he has any ideas.

Re the fruit, he loves pear and melon, and has those the most. I have tried putting pie apple in with his weetbix which sometimes helps and others not.
    He refuses to eat aprocot or peach - these are about the only thing he doesnt like other than eggs.

I was wondering whether it was a food intolerance or something like that that could be causing it, as these can have a cumulative effect, so if he has just had a little bit it will be okay but too much will cause a problem?

hey there..
    asha gets constipation and i give her 5mls half prune juice and half water each day in the morning when it is really bad... todya i noticed she was straining and i squirted a bit of baby oil in her bum (as advized by a chn) and she did a poo 10mins later lol hth

I know exactly what you are going through,we have had the same with Hannah basically since birth. I know consider myself to be a bit of an expert LOL!

I have had her at the Dr and the paed at different times and some things they said that might help are
    - Lots of water, fibre without fluid means big hard poos
    - milk can increase constipation so maybe try watering it down or switching to other forms of dairy (apparently it is only milk thats an issue)
    - Child laxatives like Parachoc are ok to give long term, they dont act like adult ones so the bowel wont get lazy
    - when things get really bad like day 4 or 5 then maybe a suppositry might help

We have a bit of a rule that one day without a poo then she gets parachoc and kiwifruit and we play games like washing the dishes where she will drink lots of water (dont ask!) because with Hannah we have found it esculates quickly to the point where she will be scared of doing poos coz it hurts. I keep the parachoc going for a few days coz or even a week at lower doese until I think things might be back on track..

Anyway I hope this helps, its a bit of a learning curve. Who would have thought poos would be so involved!

Well we went okay for 3-4 days with one every day, then nothing from friday until tonight. He tried to go several times yesterday evening and again tonight, with lots of 'stinky pops' (lol sorry TMI) in between. He kept getting really anxious when he was on the potty/loo and upset, but when he finally did go it wasnt a typical 'constipted' poo, it looked normal, so I' htinking maybe its more of a fear thing or something? Its so hard to figure out
    he drinks probably 600ml-1L water a day, which I thought was enough?
    I was thinking of mixing benefiber in with his water (the kids dose) do you think that would be OK or should I check with his GP?

Mimo your not alone another expert on the constipation here!!

Parachoc for 12mths and up works for me but i tend to use pear juice, apple or prune juice and plenty of water and if really bad get the good old parachoc out.

For 12mths under, coloxyl drops to make softer, suppositories, heaps of water and also prune, pear or apple juice. I also give my bubba each day inner heath for kids in her bottle in the morning works a treat too
    Bottle fed babies you need to look at the iron and calcium in the formula get the lowest one if you can!!!!!

Hth

jen