Thread: Cot Bumpers?

Default Cot Bumpers?

Lucie is 6 months old and crawls and rolls all around her cot, constantly banging her head on the sides. Is it safe to use a cot bumper at all? I have a feeling they are a bit of a 'No No' re SIDS? Does anyone use one?

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Jonah does exactly the same thing so I was thinking about getting one too but I'm not sure where to get one from, do they still have them?

Shannon - Thanks for the great tips. Lucie is crawling, so i might wait till she is totally sitting ok and then look at them.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Thanks for that too Shannon, we're still having a sleep struggle on our hands ](*,)

I think re the SIDS thing, they don't recommend it too, coz of needing adequate airflow around the baby? Something like that anyway. I guess the real SIDS risk is 0-6months (isn't it?) so like everyone's saying, once they're out of that risk category and moving themselves around, it's probably ok to use one. I'd be securing it pretty firmly like Shannon too.

Fee Guest

I have read that you should not use quilts, doonas, pillows or cot bumpers for babies 12 months and under.

Default lazy bum!

just wondering what ages your bubs started crawling. Jackson is 10 months and he is not even trying. he is so strong in his legs and his arms, and pushes right up on his arms, but just wont bring his knees up. he has gone backwards a few times, but not regularly. also because he is not crawling he doesnt know how to get down from a sitting position and still falls backwards so i always have to sit near him in case he topples. should i maybe be putting a cushion behind him, not to support him, but just behind him so he can fall back onto something soft and start to realise, i am going to fall if i fling myself back and figure it out from there?

did anyone have babies who bypassed the crawling stage and went straight to pulling themselves up and then walking? i have a feeling this is going to be Jacko. he loves standing up, if i am holding him and try to sit him down he cracks it and wont bend his knees!

Min - What a cutie Jackson is. Love that hair! Lucie was really early to crawl and started at 5.5 months. Sometimes it's still a commando crawl when she is being lazy though. But she is only a tiny pocket rocket at 7kg, so doesn't have much weight to pull around! But they are all different so I woudln't stress too much. The MCHN actually told me that bubs usually crawl backwards before they go forwards, so he may not be far off.

Zander was crawling around abouts 6 months old, but that is early.

Aot of the kids at my mums group didn't start until they were about 10months old & there is one that is 13months & he still doesn't crawl - we joke he'll never crwl, he'll just get up & walk one day. Maybe Jackson will do that? I have heard of kids that just never crawl.

Min - Matthew started commando crawling at 6.5 months, he was properly crawling at 8.5 months and within 2 weeks started pulling himself up to his knees and feet. I`m aware some babies will bypass a certain stage and go onto the next.

The bumpers - I`ve been wondering what to do myself as Matthew is forever hitting the sides or ends of the cot, not sure what to do as both top and bottom ends of the cot are also solid so I wouldn`t be able to tie the bumper and he`d easily get his head under it, it`s a catch 22 situation.

Min, Kynan has only just started commando crawling recently and he is over 9 months. He hasn't quite worked out yet how to get his knees to move under him without falling flat on his face though LOL. All bubs are different. Jackson will get moving one way or another in his own time

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Jonah's not crawling yet but he's really close. However he tries to pull himself up on things, my legs in particular he was the same with rolling, he would roll over once and then try and crawl rather than keep rolling, so he seems to get to the basic stage and then try and move onto the next before mastering it, lol.

We've never used bumpers with our children... yes they bumped their heads for a while but eventually they learn to avoid hitting the bars by snuggling further down the bed. I worry that bumpers reduce the ventilation and by the time the child is 1 yo they could work them loose anyhow.