Thread: Cot Bumpers and SIDS

Default Cot Bumpers and SIDS

Good Morning girls,

My little princess is such an active sleeper and is continually waking herself up as she bangs her head into the cot ( and I mean all through the night!). She is 14months old now so is it ok to put cot bumpers in her bed?.

SIDS website says to avoid for babies under 12months of age, just wondering if anyone has heard if they are safe after this age.

Thanks.

I think if they weren't safe after 12mths then the sids website would say that, but personally I don't know as I have never used one.

Love

I think that most recommendations are for 12 months and under.
    You could always email them or call to ask if you're worried.

Milo is 11 months old. If I was in the same situation, I think I'd seriously consider putting them in his cot at this age.

I made one for Blake which only goes at the top of his bed - not down the sides at all - as he was forever creeping up the cot. It has no frills or ruffles on it, it's very basic but it does the job. He's probably had it in his bed for at least 6 month - not really sure, and he's 16 months now..

Thanks girls a bumper sounds like it will be put in at our house!. Shannon I hear you on the Dummy saving as well..Kaitlyn throughs them down there all the time hehe.

Fee Guest

My DS is 3.5 months old and already a wriggler. I often find him lying sideways in his cot and he wakes me up at night with his banging against the bars.

Is there anything I can do?! Just live with it?!

NewmumLou Guest

Ouch poor bub! My little one has just started to do the same. It is horrible! I agree with Rachel, email or give them are call to see what they suggest!

Fee Guest

Well at least I know he's not hurting himself then ... but it's more a problem because it wakes me up (is that bad to admit?!)! And I'm sure it wakes Cooper up too...

I don't really see that there'd be too much of a prob after 12 months as bub is heaps stronger, bigger and can easily reposition themselves to breath better - but definately wouldn't run the risk any earlier. Cass - i agree with the others in trying to contact them about it. Good luck - Ella has the same little habits - not fun

Hi Girls,

I called the SIDS hotline today and they dont suggested Cot Bumpers at any age. Although i think Rachel and Shannons ideas sound great! But the general "rule" for SIDS is no bumpers at all...arghh.