Thread: From Cot into a Bed - What is the best age??

Default From Cot into a Bed - What is the best age??

What age did you put your little one into a bed?? Any advice with the transition would be apreciated too!!

I think alot of it has to do where they are behaviourly. We put Matilda into a bed at 16 months because she started climbing out of the cot & then climbing back in. It got so she was avoiding sleep just to jump in & out.

So we started in the big girl bed. It took us months to get her settled in a sleep routine too. But we continued to use our nighttime routine and just sat at the end of her bed until she was asleep at first.

bruky Guest

We moved Jordan at about 17 months..his bed was in the same room as the cot and I used to change him on that and we would read stories etc...I built him up that it was his bed and that he was getting a big boy.

One day I asked him did he want to have his sleep in it (day) and he said yes...we never looked back from there

I did cheat however as i put a barrier at the door so he couldnt just walk on out...lasted for about 2 weeks and then I took it away and he didnt even attempt to come out.

I find that every change for the kids...stick to it for 1 week...just being consistant with what you do and bang its done....easier said than done at times tho (toilet training isnt happening for us yet...lol)

Kameron went in just before he turned 2 and Lachlan who is two in a couple weeks has just been going into a big bed for the last week. His transition is a bit harder we have found. Maybe we are less patient now a days rofl, but he is getting there with last night being a better night.

Love

Excellent advice, Thank you.

I really did not think about how hard it could be though!! So I am sure your tips will come in very handy.