Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cot or Not to Cot??

Default Cot or Not to Cot??

Hi everyone,

Just wondering where did you put your Bubs for sleeping when you first brought them home. Did you put them straight into their cot or a bassinet or a craddle or what??

I'm just so confused. I thought I was going to use my cot but then I thought about using a second hand bassinet and just put it in the cot but the bassinet looks a bit dodgy and now I've had an offering of a second hand craddle that hasn't been used ever and only 2 years old. I just don't know which way I should go.

Any advice or stories would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

We used a bassinette on wheels for the first three months and then they all went into a cot. And that suited us fine.

I would take the cradle because for the first little bit you might like the put the baby in your room and I think they can feel a little more secure in a cradle/bassinette instead of a big cot IYKWIM? Or you can put it in the lounge room or something like that if you want too.

abs Guest

We had a friends family bassinette in our bedroom for a little while - it hung at both ends, but Jordy kept moving off centre, so ended up lying against the side before too long

We then put it on top of two chairs against the wall

Once he outgrew that, maybe 8 weeks of age, he went to the cot - still in our bedroom though

He did look very small in it to begin with but he's not so bad, or we are used to it now

Jen wants to keep him in our room for the first 6 months - I'm hoping it's not quite that long

We had a bassinette for Matilda but she never slept in it. We borrowed it from a friend & we tried twice, but instead she co-slept with us for the first 10 weeks and then went into her cot. This time around I have bought a baby hammock for this one.

We put Kynan in a cot but we bought something called the 'cot safe insert' and put that inside the cot. We would take the insert out and put it on the lounge, floor, or wherever so he could sleep pretty much anywhere. He slept in the insert until he was about 5.5-6 months.

Indah went straight into a big cot in her own room...

I am liking the hammock idea for the next one... But as it's our last... BOO HOO... I dont wnat to go getting stuffr I'll not REALLY need!??

Angel - can you fill me in a bit more about a cot insert. I haven't heard about them before. Where can I buy one and how much are they? It sounds like it might be a good investment.

We got it ages ago... probably with my 1st PG back in 2003 so I'm not sure if they're still around. We got ours in a baby shop in Launceston (Tas). It's such a great product - not like the usual snuggle bed things you see around. If you go here you can see some piccies of Kynan in his. If you Google 'cotsafe' you should be able to find some info on it although it all seems to be overseas stuff.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Kel,

Charlie currently sleeps in a cradle, but it looks like he'll be out of it soon, much earrlier than we anticipated. Even though a cradle is a bit bigger than a bassinet, it still turned out to be too small for a baby who is a bit of a wiggler in his sleep.

We have a hammock which Yasin stayed in until he was about 10 months old. I oved it because I could bounce it with a fingertip and he slept really well in it. Also it collapses easily for travelling. Imran was meant to sleep in it too but he's moved into our bed and he's such a snuggly, cuddly little person (especially on the cold nights) that I think he'll be there at least until the end of winter.

Mackenzie was in a cradle in our lounge room (which was close to our bedroom) for the first 2 months. Then we moved her to her cot in her room. It was great for us as we watched TV, talked on the phone etc and she got use to all the noise and slept well. We could also see what she was doing (ie was she awake, asleep etc) which helped us to learn her routine and crys. We have moved house so for the next one I'll probably just put them straight into a cot if they are a good sleeper but if not then the cradle will probably be used again as we are in a double storey house now and I don't fancy running up and down the stairs all day! Lazy I know!

angelfish Guest

I don't think there's one right way to go - your bed, sidecar, hammock, bassinet, cot, etc it just depends on what you prefer and what works when you're putting your baby down to sleep. The big advantage of a cot is that if you put them into it from day one, they get used to it and can stay there for the first few years, until they either grow out of it or learn to climb over the edge. A bassinet would be better if you want to move it from room to room, but of course they grow out of it relatively soon, as they do with a cradle. Cradles and hammocks are good it you want to settle baby by rocking or swinging.

With our #1 we began with co-sleeping plus bassinet, then moved him into a cot, but ended up going to a bed quite soon as he didn't like the cot much. #2 started exclusively co-sleeping and now spends some time in the cot, having never used the bassinet.

It doesn't matter what you decide as long as you're happy with it and you've considered the safety guidelines,

Sushee - I was thinking about you the other day!! The doppler I bought from you was the best purchase I ever made. I still use it to this day when we have a quiet day. I can't believe I've almost made it!! Not long now for me!! It's great to hear from you. I hope everything is OK with Charlie.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I know I would prefer them to sleep on their own in a craddle or a cot and not in my bed right from the start but we'll see what happens when this one actually arrives. I might get the craddle and see what works when we get home from the hospital.

Thanks everyone but more opinions are welcome with open arms!!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Kel. Charlie partially co-slept with us (part of the night in his cradle, part of the night in bed with us) until about 3 days ago, when he just wouldn't settle in our bed. So now we no longer co-sleep. I'm devastated coz I did enjoy my early morning cuddles!

I'll be looking out for your birth announcement, too! Wasn't that long ago we were both pg! Lol!

With the girls I used a cradle next to my bed until they were 5 months old and then moved them into a cot. With Sammy we had a bassinette. I loved how I could move it all around the house but he was only in it for 3 months before he moved into his cot.

Jo

I put a snuggle bed in teh cot and it was FABULOUS. Infact only got rid of it when she was just over 6 months. THat way she was used to the cot, but snuggled and cosy at the same time. My best investment xo

Due to his prematurity, Gus was quite small (2.3kg) when he finally came home from hospital at 9wks old. We had planned to put him straight into his cot, however he just seemed to little. We used the bassinet part of a Valco pram (not on the pram base but rather on a special stand with wheels) for the first couple of weeks until he grew a little bigger. We moved him into his cot when he was about 2.55kg. he ha! We used bassinet size blankets for him in the cot as the cot blankets were just toooo big for such a little bundle.

We were planning to go straight to the cot, but she wouldn't settle in it when we first brought her home... So we got a bassinette... And ended up only using it for day sleep (it was still worth it to be able to wheel her to different spots in the house) because now we're co-sleeping, and have been since about 2 weeks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast