Thread: Cough in 7.5 month old

Default Cough in 7.5 month old

My DD has a cough at the moment, similar to one I am just getting over. It sounds like its on her chest, but I really feel for her when she coughs, especially when it wakes her.

I cant get a doctors appointment for over 24 hours, so I went to the pharmacy to see what I could give her and they said nothing. Was wondering if anyone on here had any suggestions as to what I can give or do for her????

Kellie, L has a cough too. There isn't alot you can do, although i have a vapouriser in the room and make sure the room is warm. Lu coughs more when lying flat so i elevated the bed a little with some books.

If her cough is chesty and flemy, or a bit bark like, and she has a temp, i'd prob ring the Dr's again and tell them you are worried, you may get an earlier app.
    If you think Tahlia is struggling to breathe at all, take her to local hossy.
    For some reassurance the nurse on call line is always great.

hope you guys are feeling better.

Gee Myles has the cough too! Did these babies have a get together and no one new about it

I am putting the vapourisor in the room and taking him to the DRs tomorrow!

i know what you mean it breaks my heart to hear him cough!

Hope they all get better soon!

I found a bit of baby vicks on the back and front seems to help as well. I second the vaporiser or humidifier (which is what we have) and elevating the bed if it's possible. In regards to the doc's ... sometimes it's worth being a little forceful and telling them it is for a young baby and could they squeeze her in! I hope you are both feeling better soon!

thanks for everyones suggestions... I am about to put a pillow under her mattress to elevate it slightly, and if she isnt too good in the morning I'll call the docs back.

What exactly do the vaporiser or humidifiers do?

They produce steam. You can add an inhalent if you like, although i have heard some people dont advise it under 12 months, due to the sensitivity of baby's nasal membranes. (I use one though, just a half dose)
    The steam increases the humidity in the room, making the air more moist i guess you could say. This apparently helps relive congestion, and i find it helps her cough.

There are some studies that say they are ineffective, but as a child i often had croup and i found it helped, so that's why i use one!

Just something a friend of mine told me recently (he's a DR) he said panadol is the best cough medicine, as coughing is due to a rise in our core temp, and panadol brings it down. Worked for DD last night!! Gave her 3 hours relief out of 12 hours.... (better than nothing, and meant I had a nap from 11.30pm-2.30am)!!!
    Also vicks vapour rub on soles of feet (socks on over the top) helps sometimes.
    Also watch with the humidifier, I have found if used for more htan a few nights, can make the cough worse due to dampness and mould etc.
    Good luck, I hear you, every time DD coughs my heart jumps and I feel for her so much. xoxo