Thread: Cough! Cough! Cough!

Default Cough! Cough! Cough!

Ok. My four year old has an ear infection... she's on antibiotics for that. But she also has a dry hacking cough which starts up as soon as night comes. So far we've had four nights in a row with her coughing all night long. She's not sleeping, she's waking up her little brother and it's turning me into a bit of a zombie, too.

I've tried a couple of the cough medicines, but none of them seem to work (GP doesn't see the cough as a problem... just treating the ear infection). Can any of you tell me what cough medicine has worked for your little one? Particularly at night time?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't had real luck with any sorry! I've tried around 4-5 last time Matilda was sick & the only thing that actually helped was a vapourisor. & steam baths with lots of liquids. Sorry

My two oldest get croup through winter and I use 'Medic' roomspray. It smells just like vicks and helps alot as they breathe it in while they sleep. You just spray it like an airfreshner.

I hope your littlie gets better soon

Sounds like a miserable time
    I had jenna at the dr last week cause she has a nasty cough. The dr said they really dont do anything with babies under 12 months as they dont like medicating while babies are still within SIDS risk zone. So she said unless it becomes pneumonia...... I would imagine there has to be something to give a 4 yerar old though. have you been to the pharmacist?
    The one think I've been dead surprised about is that Jenna has been coughing alot at night, and doesn't wake up! So surprising cause its a really deep raspy one too. I guess because she's so young huh?

I hope bubs gets better soon - and I'd try a vapouriser myself.

Fi

sorry i cant help but eliana has the same kind of cough - sometimes sounds like a seal - dr said there is nothing much they can do unless it becomes more constant (ie during the day) or she gets sicker

sorry i cant help but eliana has the same kind of cough - sometimes sounds like a seal - dr said there is nothing much they can do unless it becomes more constant (ie during the day) or she gets sicker

Thanks ladies. I went back to the pharmacy again this morning, and I'm now trying Benadryl Forte during the day, and keeping the Tixylix (sp?) for night time.

The pharmacist did tell me something interesting.... cough medicines are designed to work effectively only when you take the full dosage for a forty-eight hour period. I was only giving Gabrielle a dose at night time, and not worrying about it during the day as I really hate giving her medication.

So there you go. I've now started her on the Benadryl and will give it to her as per the instructions every 6-8 hours for the 48 hour period (but change to the Tixylix at night) and see if that makes a difference.

Would love to put the vapouriser on, but it's a thousand degrees at night (ok... I exaggerate just a wee bit, but it's over 25 degrees most nights) and the vapouriser and a little girl with an ear-infection plus associated fevers don't go too well together

But on the whole she's usually a very healthy little girl who sleeps like a rock every night, so one week of being awake all night isn't really too bad, just a shock to the system :sleeping: