Thread: Cough getting worse (with temp)

Default Cough getting worse (with temp)

I am getting a little concerned with Nixon's cough. He started couging about 3 days ago nothing serious so i just thought he likes the sound of it and is deliberatly doing it, he seemed to be his normal happy self. but just today Its got a lot deeper and been couging more. he was coughing more on the plane today(just been to qld) then again tonight.
    he is now also coughing in his sleep every 40min or so. not really disturbing him he goes straight back to sleep.

For the first time EVER he hasnt been finishing his bottles. 2nd feed today was a bf and really didnt think i had much or he got much so gave him a bottle but he didnt even attempt to have any, then this arvo had a bottle and he left 50ml and tonights bottle he left 110ml. i think yesterday he left about 50ml on both of his 2 bottle feeds he has
    so i have taken his temp. 1st 37.5 2nd 37.8 3rd 37.6

He felt ok but when putting him to bed his face felt quiet hot (not the rest of his body just head) did temps again and got 38.5 then 38.9 then 38.8
    so i have given him some panadol, was wondering at what temp does it become a concern and should go to medical centre or hospital??

Nixon has never been sick yet (i know pretty lucky to have escaped it this far) so i really dont know what to do or how he acts.
    now ofcourse its the weekend so wont be able to go to my gp and would really prefer to see her then any random medical centre.....

Sorry, I can't offer any advice.. we're the same.. Tallon hasn't been sick yet! I'm dreading his first fever LOL.. coz I won't know what to do!

Just thought I'd pop in and say I hope he feels better soon.

Hi Nickers

If you canít keep the temp below 38 with the panadol then you should go to the medical centre.

Give the panadol every 4 Ė 6 hours but no more than 4 doses in 24 hours. You could also try to bring down the temp with a cool sponge. He will probably not like it too much but if you just sponge parts of his body he may not get too upset. Try sponging his wrists, back of neck, forehead, underarms, and face if it does not upset him too much.

Nixon is over 6 months so you could also use Nurofen. If you decided to use this then I suggest that you use it with panadol. Give panadol then 3 hours later give nurofen then 3 hours later give panadol then after 3 hours back to the nurofen. Keep this up until the temp is normal. If the temp is still above 37.5 on Monday go and see your doctor.

Thanks alot Alan.
    Well Panadol must have helped because i just went and took his temps again and they were mid 36's. He did not feel hot like he was a few hours ago either.

i have just been reading up on symptoms of bronchiolitis and read it can be more common in premmie babies. Does this only mean when they are still quiet young and before their EDD? Because Nixon was 7weeks prem so dont know if this counts or not?

Thanks Liz ,i probably wont sleep much tonight because DH is not here so i will be checking his ok all the time!

bronchiolitis can afect any child at any age and yes it is more common in premmie babies and can affect them at any age.