Thread: Could be a long night

getinmybelly!! Guest

Unhappy Could be a long night

I feel completely at sea at the moment.

I have been giving Lana a dummy at night. But now everytime she wakes she needs me to resettle her by putting her dummy in. Its my fault because DH gets up at 5:30am to go to work I don't let her cry at all, just get straight up and either feed or put her dummy in.

So I am trying to get her to settle herself and I put her down an hour ago and she's still sooking. I feel awful . I don't even know if I am doing the right thing.

I don't even know if there's a point to my post. I'm tired already.

GIMB - I feel your pain, but it does get easier. Amber was the same to start with, and my boyfriend gets up at the same time to go to work, but remember that looking after your beautiful baby Lana is a full time job too and you need your rest aswell!

Keep your chin up

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Awww hon, when the going gets tough we always question ourselves, what we are doing, if we are doing it right... can you get someone to take care of her for a bit during the day so you can get a rest? I think once you feel more rested you will be able to deal with it better and think straighter too. She's probably needing some security being so little, perhaps you can try and find something else that can give her some security? I assume you wrap her? Have you tried some music? I LOVE Peace Baby.

15 Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

getinmybelly!! Guest

Thanks guys!

Well I am so proud of my little monkey. I ended up in bed at around 11:30pm (i think...might have been midnight). Anyway she slept through to 5am without a peep. When she did wake it was a happy wake. I could hear her chatting to herself discussing world events I assume lol.

I got up, fed for 10 minutes, changed her, put her back down and she is still asleep!

Kelly I do wrap her, she loves it. And I use a Slumber Bear which she seems quite attached to (another thing to wean her off one day lol)

Thanks for your support last night Susan and Kelly, I needed it. I'm off to my mum's today for a snooze.

This is a great thread because it's EXACTLY what I am planning on doing. I was going to put her to bed last ngith without dummy, but I chickened out!! So how long did it take her to fall asleep?? Im nervous about it, but the same thing, she's waking for her dummy and relying on it to go to sleep. I notice when I go into her room she will shut her eyes and open her mouth!! so she's really tired but relying too much on dummy. xo

ok, now every baby is different, but here is what worked with me. My two babies were oral babies. Always wanting something in their mouths. But they too would wake all night wanting the dummy puy back in. With Kat, we did the cold turkey no dummy, controlled crying thing at around 8 months. It took her two days of crying herself to sleep, but it broke her of the habit and she slept well ever since. She sucks her tonguge and goes to sleep. With Jess we decided at around 3months to break her as the same thing was happening. Jess adapted right away (ie cried for maybe an hr and fell asleep)and puts her fingers in her mouth to settle to bed. I never need to worry unless she can't get her fingers into her mouth. I also used PEACE BABY cd and found it to be FANTASTIC! I discovered it when Kat was around 2m.o and have used it ever since. My two kids now sleep thru any noise as long as their music is playing! They go straight to sleep and generally sleep from 9pm till around 8am!
    Controlled crying and soothing music worked for me. But as I said....it's different for everyone.

getinmybelly!! Guest

Thumbs up

It took her around two hours to get to sleep last night.

Tonight? Straight to sleep!!!!!! No dummy at all!

Great stuff! Sometimes they have rough patches and she will probably have them again another time, but we keep working through them and cope as best we can, getting as much of a break as we can during the day when someone can help. Don't forget you can always call on a post-natal doula who will take care of her at any time so you can rest, they are fabulous help. Unlike nannies they also will help with jobs around the house.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Ok, Im off to get her to sleep with no dummy....It's her 9am nap. We were up since 4am and couldn't get her to settle so tried it then, but think i should've waited until now. So officially we start now. Im nervous, but I am so over having to help her back to sleep with her dummy. Im confident we can kick teh dummy habit!
    thanks for all the advice, will be back with a report later..xoxo

Goodluck - doing it nice and slow is the key. It's important to replace one comfort with another though, or she will just find the whole thing upsetting and it may not work as you hope it to...
    Kelly xx

What would you suggest replacing it with? She went off to sleep really nicely, only a few minutes of being unsettled, but she only slept 20 minutes, so Im trying to resettle with much difficulty. Would I give her a toy or something? I don't want to distract her though. Thanks xo

Just wanted to update. We have gone 24 hours now NO DUMMY!! Very excited!! I have kept wrapping her as I decided it was too much too soon, but we're doing ok with the no dummy. Yesterday the morning sleep was awful, but since then she settled ok, so fingers crossed it gets easier!!
    xo