Thread: Could Severe Teething Inhibit Development??

Default Could Severe Teething Inhibit Development??

Hi there All

Just wanted to ask a quick question and get your opinions on it.

My son will be 6months in a week and has been teething for the last 10-12weeks and it has been getting worse for the last 6 of those weeks.

Somedays I feel that my routine only involves comforting him and force feeding him in between tears - the bottle only makes his gums hurt more....

I have tried Bonjella, Panadol, Nurofen etc - I try not make a habit of this as i feel awful "drugging" him up so basically besides the Bonjella which I only use before a nap I only use the other items as a last resort.

He hates anything in his mouth besides my fingers or his hands - so teething rings and rusks for relief are a no-no for him....

what my biggest concern is - is that his milestones are not being met as he is in too much pain to even try anything new.

Do you think that is possible due to the pain?? or am I just being a crap mum (that's how I feel at the moment )

He rolled a couple times back in May - I was so excited - he did it everyday for a week rolling and giggling and carrying on - but since then his interest in doing anything including the rolling has fallen to the wayside as the teething has taken over....poor little guy has 2 molars coming through and a front tooth all the same time - so obviously he's in pain.

Just wanted to get some feedback and maybe some advice and what I could do next - seems that nothing I'm doing here is right at the moment (sorry just having a YUK day already)

thanks in advance

Kirsty77 Guest

Oh Dianna your doing a wonderful job! Gemma has been through about 2 -3 months of not being herself because of teething and/or sickness. She was constantly grumpy and just wante me all the time to comfort her.She hated doing anything, went off bottles and food and I was just doubting my abilites all the way. But we came out of it. After so many months of tears, tantrums and being so unhappy I finally have my girl back.She certainly has her moments still but shes nothing like she was. She cut her bottom 2 teeth and top eye teeth in that time.The eye teeth were the worst and took the longest to come in.Unfortunately they never tell you that teething makes them so terribly unhappy for soooo long! Gem also didn't like teething gel and panadal didn't even help at all or nurofen. All that worked was cuddles and comfort from me. I remember trying to get to sleep at night with her clinging to me and everytime I moved her she'd scream! WIth regards to meeting her milestones, to be honest, it was the furtherest thing from my mind. I was so upset because she was upset.Some bubs don't even get affected by teething and others like ours and totally distressed by it. Brodie will get there hun.Gem went through a long stage of where she didn't seem to be doing anything.It was like she'd forgotten how to do things. Then all of a sudden she came in leaps and bounds. Just concentrate on that gorgeous boy of yours. And don't ever doubt yourself. Your doing an absolutely wonderful job and I take my hat off to you. Teething is tricky, tireing business for us mummies!

mummymeegs Guest

Hi Dianna.. It is normal for your little man to be cranky when he is teething. Although the first teeth typically show up at around 6 - 7 months and usually it is the lower front ones first. Of course all of this is highly variable. 10 - 12 weeks is a long time however for him to be suffering. Have you thought about getting him checked out? Just to see that they will erupt ok? Also, I am surprised to hear that you think that he is getting molars too?? Molars do not usually erupt this early ( usually between 14 - 16 months) and I would be very surprised if this is the case. I would pop into your dentist just to check it out. Never too young!!

As for being worried about his development... dont!! Babies start to do things and then stop all the time!! Besides, rolling this early is great!!

Dont be thinking that any of this is your fault and you are being a bad Mummy! It sounds like you are doing everything you can to make him comfortable. Teething is definitley NOT fun!
    Last edited by mummymeegs; July 1st, 2006 at 12:29 PM.

hi there

thanks for your feedback

i know it sounds weird that his back teeth are coming in - at first i thought i was imagining it - not the case....

i went and had some dental work done last week and i got the dentist to have a feel of his gums - she was also very surprised!!! - 2 back teeth and a front tooth all at the same time - i was kind of hoping that i was imagining it - oh well we'll just perservere (sp??)

mummymeegs Guest

Wow!! Ok!! I stand corrrected! Well, maybe this means that he is getting all of it over and done with early! Could be a good thing! Hang in there!! You are doing all the right things!!

i know, like i said i was kind of hoping i was imagining it....:eek:

Kirsty77 Guest

There is no real setup for when teeth come and in what order. One of my friends bubs got his first tooth at 3 months and it was a molar!Weird but not unheard of!Gem at the moment is getting her molars too!I was hoping it was her top front teeth first!LOL!

awww its really hard knowing too!! Matilda had teeth come up & down for a month & then disappeared for a few months and only got her first tooth at 13 months! But she definately suffered from "teething" & we could feel the teeth at the gums. I didn't find much worked but the homeopathic tablets & drops tended to ease things a bit better than anything else.

Like Shannon said, it can't hurt to rule something else out for this behaviour.

Aww it's so cruel that babies have to teeth. Hope all goes well for you and your little man.

Love