Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A couple of questions regarding Grobags

Default A couple of questions regarding Grobags

Matthew has always kicked his blankets/sheets off since he was 6 weeks of age, it`s okay during the summer but thinking about the winter coming up I don`t want him to freeze so we`re thinking about a Grobag - I was going to buy him one last year but my Dad made the comment that they look like bodybags so I was put off buying one LOL

Matthew will be about 12 months before he`ll need to use one do you think this is too old to start introducing a grobag?

Matthew is a sleep crawler, he sleeps like he`s crawling ie his knees are up under his tummy his arms out stretched and obviously head down, looks so uncomfortable and he crawls around the cot all night in his sleep, banging into the sides of the cot all night!!!!. Would this be a problem in a grobag? Would he still have the room to move to be able to sleep like this?

Thanks for your advice.

Take Care

Deeanne

He should have plenty of room to move Dee, they are really very generously sized. It may just make it a little tricker for him to crawl properly because his legs are inside it, however they really do have a lot of room to move.
    I dont think its too old to introduce one, as Aidyn used one up until this summer (about 18 months of age) and is going to continue using his when the weather gets colder again.

Dee - I love grobags/sleeping bags, Lucie has been in one nearly forever. And she now crawls all around her cot too and bangs into the sides - doesn't stop her at all!

Thanks Girls, looks like I`ll be buying a grobag for Matthew.

mooshie Guest

dee

lani is nearly 17mths old and she still uses her grobag (we are using the summer one atm) i am actually looking at getting her a winter one soon.

lani sleeps way up the top of the cot and no matter how many times i move her back down and cover her up she still goes back lol, she loves the grobag and will probably use one for the next 12mths or so.

however my ds used a sleeping bag (although not a grobag) and from around 12mths he used to get really ****ed off and start waking around 5am and we finally figured out that he would wake around that time and want to walk around the cot but always got tangled up so he used to get upset, as soon as we took him out of the sleeping bag he was fine and didn't cry at 5am i am guessing he used to just wake up have a little cruise around the cot and go back to sleep.

they are all different - maybe grab one on ebay (there are usually heaps on there) and if it doesn't work you can always resell it.

I bought a grobag for my first son, and now I'm using it for my second baby. They are expensive, but well worth the money. They are excellent quality, and stop baby waking early due to being cold.

Matilda is 19months old and a climbing, walking toddler but I will be using a grobag come winter because she will not keep covers on. She doesn't use it over summer but she used one last winter & hopefully will use one this winter too...otherwise we are going to have to figure out something else :-k

Jenna crawls all over her cot in hers, and usually doesn't *wake up* as such, maybe a few whimpers, but she realigns herself and gets back into the sleep thing usually. I attribute her improvement in sleep lately in the introduction of her grobags.
    They were a little tricky for the first week - her getting used to standing in the cot in them, but now they are fine.

rails Guest

hey Dee ... Jesse has used a sleeping bag since he was 3 months old ... he sleeps very well in it .... i am convinced that is why he doesn't wake as much during the night because on occasions we didn't use it he would wake from being cold ....
    Also, another question regarding the bags ... what do others dress the little ones in underneath .... i usually put Jesse in a body singlet is this enough or should he be in normal pj's under the bag ??

I think it really depends on the weather Rails.
    This summer I cant even use a grobag for Aidyn because its just too hot, so he just goes to bed in a singlet.
    He has a 1.0 tog grobag that I am going to use for autumn/winter/spring and will just put extra layers of clothes on him during winter.
    Do you have a thermometer in his room? Maybe that way you can keep track of how cold it is and whether you think he needs more layers. However you can usually tell if they are too hot as they will sweat and behind their neck gets clammy.

rails Guest

thanks Amber .... yeah he does have a thermometer in his room, that is why i worry .... in winter it gets very cold of the night here... so this year i will put extra clothes under the sleeping bag .... because he always wriggles out of the blankets now.

Thanks girls for all your help.

Great question Rails, I was wondering the same.

Ambah - In winter do you put Aidyn in his pygamas and then put the 1.0 tog on him? I`m thinking of getting the 1.0 tog as I`d be worried about Matthew overheating in the 2.5 tog.

I was wondering that too Rails ... we have ordered one that is sleeveless so I will have to put SOMETHING on underneath ... I am thinking his normal bonds wondersuits which we use as pjs.

Quote Originally Posted by mooshie

i am guessing he used to just wake up have a little cruise around the cot and go back to sleep.
    Mooshie that is toooo cute!!! I am giggling at the visual image...

Pearl

rails Guest

glad to hear i'm not the only one wondering this ... haha .... Jesse has a warmer bag for winter & a cooler one for summer .... they both have sleeves ... the summer one is made from cotton. I was worried about his overheating also if i put too much on underneeth, but found because he was crawling out he is not getting the warmth from the blankets & his little tootsies felt on the cool side when i unzipped - In winter they are suppose to have two or three blankets, is that right ? -... so will put him in the wondersuit underneeth next time when it is really cold again.

thanks for answering guys ...

Dee - in winter I put a singlet, pajamas and socks under the 1.0tog grobag, but on the extra cold nights in winter I put an extra skivvy under his pj's. He usually wears fleecy pj's in winter (you know like fleecy tracksuit material?)
    It is probably a fair bit colder where you live compared to me, so you might need to put the extra layers on all the time anyway.

I like the 1.0 tog because its more versatile and you can use it in spring and autumn too, thus saving heaps of $$!

Thanks Ambah - I needed a grobag last night, we had a cooler night of 24 degrees, Matthew woke at 12.15am cold. Our winters can be all over the place, we had a very mild winter last year with only 1 or 2 frosts so wasn`t too cold but for a boy who doesn`t keep blankets on it`s a different story!!!!

I swear by the grobags for Erykah. We have 2 x 2.5 tog a 1.0 tog and a 0.5 tog. During the day sleeps I stick her in either the 0.5 tog or the 1.0 tog depending how cold it is and then at night I go by the room temperature.

18 degrees I use the 2.5 tog with a long sleeve body suit, 21 degrees is either a short sleeve bodysuit in her 2.5 tog or long sleeve in her 1.0 tog. 24 degrees is 1.0 tog with a short sleeve body suit and then 27 degrees is in her nappy with the 0.5tog

The thermometre with the grobag tells you what to dress them in and which tog to use and I go by this.

Jo

If bumpy is due in September...then what would be an ideal tog to get me thought the seasons ahead?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast