Thread: Cows Milk at 9 months

jaggard Guest

Default Cows Milk at 9 months

I'd like to know if anyone else has put their bubs onto cows milk before 12 months of age.
    DS has been dealing with the worst constipation ever since I weaned him at 6 months. I've tried all the formulas and I honestly believe they were the cause. I stopped cheese (as I've heard that constipates), I also reduced the carbohydrates in his diet as it seemed that potato wasn't doing him any favours either. I have since had him on full cream cows milk (for the 3 bottles he has a day) as of 9 months of age. He loves it and it's helped.
    Putting him on cows milk was the last resort, we had tried every other avenue, prunes, coloxyl drops, suppositories you name it we tried it. I'm almost 100% certain it's formula that clogs him.
    I know cows milk doesn't have all the la de da in it, vitamins, minerals etc, but he has a balanced diet, I make sure he eats plenty of fruit and he always has meat and vegies for dinner so he's getting his iron.

Is this O.K? Should I be doing anything else? He's the happiest, healthiest bub, putting on weight nicely, and has not caught so much as a cold his whole life.

Cheers
    G

if it's any consulation 9 months used to be when they could start on cows milk. maybe use that kids extra vitamin milk if he's happy your happy i say.

love beckles

Kirsty77 Guest

I say if it works then stick with it.Hes obviously on a well balanced diet anyway.3 months early can't hurt.

My MCHN actually recommended that I start giving Bas cows milk at 9 months... and if it works for him, why not?

i have been told it is not reccomended for children under 12 mnths to be on cows milk alone because it doesnt have the nutritional value that formula or breast milk do, that fruit and veg and all that is fantastic, but taking them off formula or boob alltogether before 12 months is still not giving them exactly all of the nutrients they need and could harm their development.

dont forget that putting on weight is only really a sign of enough fat in the diet, that doesnt reflect they have all the other vitamins etc they need.

my suggestion is you should ask a doctor or MCHN about it.

jackson has had cows milk since 6 months, but only on his weetbix - his favourite food in the world!

I certainly done have any idea on the rights and wrongs or what ages etc etc, but I do know that my Mum was told by her Dr to put my brother on cows milk at 6 weeks!! Yep, thats right!! They lived on a farm and did their own milking too! Imagine that these days LOL :shock: And he is a very strong & healthy man now, so I dont see how in the long run it can really be that bad, especially if he is already responding so well to it?

Is it possible for you to try one of the toddler milk/formula's? They are recommended for 12months +, but hopefully it wouldnt matter starting him on it so early... maybe check with your GP or MCHN first though.
    They are made differently to the baby formula's (so hopefully wouldnt cause the same constipation?) and are pretty much solely based on cows milk, with all the extra vitamins & minerals added in.

sonsangel Guest

You aren't doing anything wrong if your son is happier and has had no adverse reactions to the cows milk then it's far better than a constipated baby. I had the same probs changing DS from breast to formula - two weeks of not much rest and alot of stress and early morning calls to the health nurse number. He went 7 days without a bm. Never thought I'd be so happy enough to call DH at work to tell him we had movement at the station, haha.

I didn't introduce cows milk till my DS was 11mths and it was for no reason really other than I felt like changing him over by that stage.

You're doing a great job and I can tell you have done everything to make your son is comfortable. 8-)

Colleen Guest

I had a similar dilemma with jaykob where he wouldnt take any type pf formula and he was biting my bb so Hes had cows milk here and there since about 9-10 months, Generally as one feed per day. (I watered it down)

Now thats hes 12 months, Ive got him the vanilla s26 and he loves it...

But My DP was on cows milk also from 5 months...

Nutrients can be found elsewhere, and honestly if hes getting all bound up it cant be good

Good Luck!

Pietta Guest

I agree with the other ladies maybe just start introducing it- I used to 12mh formula and that worked a treat for Ryley when he was around 10-11 months.

3 months in a little 'uns life is quite a while though. Just something to consider

Hi jaggard

If your little one is eating a well ballanced diet then cows milk at 9 months is OK

Hi Jaggard
    I too started my little fella on cows milk when he was 9 1/2 months old. Swapped the daytime booby for a cup of milk, figured he'd been having it on weetbix for the last few months with no adverse reaction, so gave it a try.

As long as he's getting a balanced diet I don't see why you would need added vitamins etc etc
    Call me a cynic but I reckon these toddler/follow on formulas are just a ploy by the marketing companies to make parents feel guilty about something else they're not giving their child. Something else that's really not necessary.....