Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cradle/bassinet vs straight to cot for newborn?

We put Louis in the cot from the word go. At times in the very early days we would sleep in his bouncer which seemed to help with his wind. After we worked it out though we just propped up one end of the cot and he was fine.

We now can't sleep with Louis in our room as we wake to every little noise he makes rather than him just crying....

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Thanks all for your advice. I've put a cradle on order. I don't really have anyone who could have handed one down to me. My sister used a bassinet, but no offense to anyone who smokes (I used to be a smoker until Sept 2004), but my sister smokes like a chimney and is not discriminate about smoking in front of her baby/baby stuff, so I've opted not to take over her DD's furniture.

DH and I reckon that even if we don't have another baby, he'd like to keep the cradle as a reminder of bub, and perhaps to pass on to my DD when she eventually has a baby of her own. I like that idea, so a cradle it is!

love
    sushee

Hi
    Just after some advice or reassuring words, my little man is 9 weeks old and he is getting too long for the bassinette, I still wrap him and he dosen't move but I am scared as he is getting bigger and I am scared of the sides being too close.

Is now a good time for the cot? I just feel he is so little and I guess the step for me is a big one as I feel he is getting so big so quick, I thought they stayed in a basinette for 3 months?

Maybe I am just a sook, I guess I just need some one to say this is the right move.

Thanks
    Jules

Julie I dont know if there is a 'right' time to swap to the cot, but if you feel he is getting too big for the bassinet then go for it! It definately wont hurt to have him in the cot. If it is hard for you thinking of having him further away, just put the cot in your room so you can still be near him.

HTH

Kaleb went straight into a cot and we never had any problems with it, although on that first night at home I was terrified to leave him alone in it because it was so big and he was so small. I just made up the sheets/blankets according to the sids guidelines, so he couldn't wriggle under them.

Linda thanks he definately will be in our room but I don't know I guess it is because the cot is so big, and Jo where did you get the sids guidelines from??

Thanks
    Jules

Hi - Cait lasted three and a half months in the basinett before she got too big for it and I moved Alex to the cot at 7 weeks mainly because of the heat, I thought the air would travel better around a cot than a basinett. He has slept really well in the cot. Maybe because he's a bit of a brutus baby, he doesn't look small at all in the cot !

We had Cait in our room for about a week, but she made too much noise, so Alex has been in his room since the start.

Barb.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12