thread: Cradle Cap on face??

Jan 2006

Cradle Cap on face??

Hi everyone,

my son is nearly 5 weeks old and seems to have scaly and in places yellow crusts on his eyebrows and forehead. I know about cradle cap but thought it was only on the scalp. could this be cradle cap or does it sound like something else?
    I've been putting organic baby massage oil on his scalp and forehead and it works for the day but then in the morning there it is greeting me. Looks like he's been sunburnt and he's peeling, also the yellow crusts look so bad.
    Please help!

Feb 2009
    On the couch.

Hi Jenjen,
    Our bub has the same thing between her brows,looks kind of like chicken salt :P doc sais it was cradle cap and nothing to be too stressed about. But if in doubt maybe a check up is best,sorry im not much help!

Jul 2008
    Country VIC

my bub had cradle cap on her head and her eyebrows I tried oil and creams, would help a bit but just kept coming back so I tried a bicarb soda paste and it cleared it straight up and hasnt come back I did this twice got most of it the first time and the second time just put it on and cleared up the bits that I missed. Just mix some bicarb with a little bit of water I kind of made it watery because I used a soft paint brush, i painted it on her head and eye brows (be careful not to get in eyes) as I found it easier than rubbing it on with fingers, let it dry which doesnt take long then shampooed her hair combed it in circular motions with her soft hair brush and rinsed it out.

Jul 2004

Yep it is cradle cap. DS2 has it aswell and nothing will budge it. It took nearly a year to get rid of DS1's cradle cap.

Mar 2007

Oh, that's what it is! DD has a little bit on her eyebrows and I didn't know what the hell it was! lol.

Dec 2005

Sam had it between his eyebrows as well as on his head... But I've got rid of it now, and it doesn't seem to be coming back.

I massaged his scalp with gaia baby massage oil (along with the rest of him, he has my dry skin) before his bath and then washed his hair with curash baby shampoo (it was what we had in the house) after his bath, it all flaked out and I sat there for ages with a soft brush brushing it all out.

If I wash his hair every night it stays away, but as soon as I skip a day the cradle cap comes back. I don't actually recall how I got rid of the stuff on his eyebrows - I certainly didn't use the oil or shampoo on his face, it just seemed to go away when the stuff on his scalp went away.

BW

Jan 2006

Thanks everyone, heading to the health centre today for our 5 week check up so will ask her about it, but last night i did put some oil on his scalp and forehead and then i shampooed his hair and washed his face and this morning it does seem better. i like the bicarb paste solution so i will give that a go. The hardest thing about it is you see your beautiful baby with this horrible crusty stuff and it makes them look ugly!!
    Will let you know how i go

Sep 2008
    Croydon, Victoria

When DD was a bub, she had such bad cradle cap that it started to ooze, she had to be put on anti's for it. 7 years on she has quite bad dandruff......

I tried using baby oil and olive oil but they didnt work for us. The bicarb sounds good, wish I had've known about it back then!

Jan 2008

yep we had that we just used a baby wip in nappy changes times and wiped them and ythis reduced it, obviously a new clean wipe!

Jul 2008
    Country VIC

ubba82 - i dont see why bicarb wouldnt work now just massage into scalp and let it dry and wash hair as normal, you might have to do it a couple of times but its worth a try. I know every baby/child is different but i swear by the bicarb, the health nurse told me to just leave it but it looked horrible i couldnt just let it go.