Thread: Crying baby & can't soothe

Lee-Ann Guest

Default Crying baby & can't soothe

Hi
    Yesterday, last night and the night before my baby Regan cried for 2 hours solid at each time, it got to the point where I wondered whether I should take her to the hospital. Nothing I did soothed her, she won't take a pacifier and all I can do is hold her and pat her although this doesn't work. Last night I gave her a bath with lavender oil to help relax her but this still didn't work although during the bath she didn't cry. Admittedly today she is a lot more settled, but I'm at my wits-end as what to do and how to soothe her. I think maybe it's a case of her being over-tired or could it be that something I've eaten has gone through my breastmilk that has upset her. It seems to me that it could be that she's feeling some sort of discomfort. I've tried hot packs on her tummy in the hope that it would relieve the pain/discomfort (if there was any) to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced this where nothing they can do helps? I know there are probably no hard and fast answers and I just may have to ride it out with her, I guess I just need to talk about it and see if anyone else has gone through this as well.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Hey Lee-Ann, two brilliant books to recommend.

1. 100 Ways To Calm The Crying by Pinky McKay
    2. The Wonder Weeks by Frans X. Plooij & Hetty Vanderijt

All the details are here in BellyBelly's Recommended Reading List: http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...d-reading-list but definitely consider one or both of these books - they are lifesavers.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Lee-Ann Guest

Thanks Kelly, I'll definitely go out and get the Pinky McKay book and I just saw the sticky thread on "Working out why baby is crying". Which has been a good read too.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Glad to be of help! The reason I recommended the Wonder Weeks is that it covers the main developmental milestones a baby goes through in it's first year, from birth. I can guarantee the times you are at your wits end, baby crying, sleeping less, clingy - you look at the book and surely enough, they have marked in there baby's age at one of those 'Wonder Weeks'. It's incredibly accurate, has comments other parents have said about feeling the way you do, saying the things you do, and they tell you exactly what your baby will be doing too! I read it recently and just the whole way through went 'YES YES YES!!!' It's great. It was recommended to me by my guru birth teacher and she raves about it too.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hey Lee-Ann,

I know how stressful & upsetting that can be! Kynan went through a phase from about 5 to 6 months of age where he would cry a lot and nothing seemed to help him. He would get so distressed and all I could do was hold him (and often I would cry with him LOL!). Something that helped us both was putting him into the hug a bub. He settled much quicker in it.

Good luck!

Lee-Ann Guest

Thanks Angel, I was only thinking about getting a hug-a-bub just today, it was a purchase I was hoping to get before I had Regan but just never got around to it. Anyway looks like I'll be telling DH that it's a must have!

Can you transfer ?

By that Lee-Ann, I mean take Regan for a drive and then when she's asleep transfer her into her cot, driving always put them to sleep.

Hi Lee-Ann

The book by Pinky is very good.

Melinda Guest

I hope you find something that helps Lee-Ann. It can be pretty stressful, huh?

Pietta Guest

Hello!

Ryley also started becoming so much more settled after seeing chiropractor.

Hope that helps

Coco had a restless 5 hours last night and I really think it is due to the box of lindt chocs I ate. She couldn't do a poo and was stressed out by this. I am going to be more careful what I eat from now on! xo

If you are worried, I would go and see a doctor. Amy had colic till she was 10 weeks old and the Brauers Colic relief helped as well as gripe water. She would cry once a day like she was in so much pain. It is hard when the are crying/screaming and you can't help them...like Brooke said it does get better.

Lee-Ann Guest

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I bought some gripe water which Regan absolutely hates, I only give her 1ml (and I've only given it to her twice cos she hates it so much and gets really upset) but the 2 times I've given it to her seemed settle her a lot quicker. I'm also watching what I eat as I had eaten some fatty fast food which I think coincided with her restlessness. I also bought more lavender and chammomile oils and I'm burning them in the oil burner constantly and putting them into her bath which has also helped. She actually slept 4 1/2 hours straight last night which was pretty amazing! She normally sleeps 2-3 hourly.

The chiropractor might be a good avenue as well (I need to go too).

hey lee-ann

my daughter did the same thing when she was that age i was told to "shh shh" close to her and louder then her cry as they think they are still in the tummy cos when they are in there all they mostly hear is our body flowing though our bodys and this remindes them of that and they think they are in there agian