thread: Crying to sleep

Mar 2007

Unhappy Crying to sleep

Why does DD always have to cry to sleep? Is this normal at this age? She will hardly ever just go to sleep peacefully. It's like she's fighting it even though she's tired. I'm not doing controlled crying or anything or leaving her by herself. This is with me holding her and rocking her. She still cries, and eventually goes to sleep.

Add Sterla on Facebook

Jun 2008
    Tasmania

Is she maybe overtired? My DS will cry for no real reason when he's tired - just cause he's tired. The more tired he is the more he seems to cry, and the more I need to rock and soothe to settle him. I've read somewhere that when a young bub shows tired signs, you only have a really small window before they become over-tired... 15 minutes or something like that.
    Could that be it?

Mar 2007

I don't think so? Coz I usually try and put her to sleep as soon as I see tired signs and she's only ever up for 1-1.5hrs at a time????

May 2007

Some babies just do. I think it is their age. They are still new to a big scary world. Give it some time, and you will slowly see an improvement. My DD does the same thing. Again i rarely leave her to cry on her own. (but i have a 2.5 yo, so there are times when she just has to cry as I am doing something that DS needs.)

Add Sterla on Facebook

Jun 2008
    Tasmania

I don't know then SJ... Some babies just really fight sleep - there's just too much to see! It will probably settle down eventually.

Sorry I can't be more help .

Jul 2008
    summer street

Aw hun, its awful isn't it? My DD did this at around the same age. She was a shocker for fighting sleep. The horrible thing is, I felt like I was constantly battling her to go to sleep.

My only advice is to try and let go of the whole sleep thing. I think we mum's focus on it too much. She's too little to be forming habits, so just do whatever you need to get her to sleep. I used to feed DD to sleep and hold her in my arms (and I stupidly felt guilty while doing it).

The good news is they seem to grow out of it...hang in there!

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

Aw gosh, I'd forgotten about that! My DS did it for aaaages. It's really heartbreaking, but I never found a way around it. I just made sure I help him close (because all other methods made the crying heaps worse) so that he knew I was there for him, and he would eventually drift off.

If it helps, they do grow out of it

Feb 2008
    Country Victoria

it is normal. Mia did this till about 3-4 months. Then one day she just layed down without the crying.

Mar 2007

Oh thankyou everyone. That's all I needed to know, that it's normal and she'll grow out of it! Thankyou!!

Jun 2007

Totally normal, it might be her way of winding down. You might read before sleeping, she has a cry. I think they're releasing energy and crying is their only way of expressing themselves.

BellyBelly Member

Jul 2006

It is so so hard isn't it?..I found that extremely exhausting, but yes it will absolutely get better!

I agree with Sterla, some babies do just fight sleep. My DD did, she would cry every single time and it was always a battle to get her to nap. But second time round for us has been a completely different story, our DS hardly ever cries to sleep- I didn't even think it was possible for a baby to do that! And it's not like we have done things a whole lot differently with him to create that. Although now with him, if I see him getting a little fidgetty when I put him down to sleep I don't push it. What I mean is, if I am not 1000% sure he needs a nap then I don't force the issue, I get him up and snuggle (or do anything that won't hype him up too much). Then I try for the nap again a little bit later.

Hang in there x

Mar 2007

Yep, DD does this alot especially when she's really tired and exhausted. It's upsetting but not much we can do about it i think it's just their age!! It just takes a while sometimes to calm her down as she is winding down....

Jun 2008
    Tassie

oh gosh she could have wind, reflux, be overtired, hungry... there are endless reasons why. But no she shouldn't be. We found feeding to sleep, or wrapping the best. Oh and the dummy

Sep 2006
    On Channel Zzzzzzz

Just a quick thought - when you say you are holding/rocking her....where are you? Are you standing in her room doing all that, pacing the floor or sitting comfy? The reason I ask is that if this is something your little one just does and all you can do is hold her.....at least make sure mummy is relaxed I've actually done this.....knowing that my little one will not go to sleep without a major protest, for my own sanity (through bubby's crying) I've made a cuppa, popped it near me so it's easy and safe to get but allowed my little one just to cry on me. I might pat or rub her back, whisper, sing etc....(knowing that it just isn't going to work but done it all the same) but most importantly, I did all that I could to keep my thoughts and brain at ease and relaxed - TV on quietly in the background or music playing.....for me that is (psst: didn't always work ) I just found it helped me get through sometimes......anyways, just a thought and a for you love

Mar 2007

Yeah, I think it's her just fighting sleep. She's a pretty happy baby normally, just when she starts to get tired and knows it's sleep time she tries to fight it. Maybe she's like me, doesn't want to miss out on anything, pmsl.

Thanks girls!!

Charlyfrog- thankyou, good idea, I am normally bouncing on the fitball with her, the comfiest way to bounce, lol. A cuppa is a good idea!

Jul 2008
    summer street

Hey, I had an idea about your bub hating the car. Perhaps its just her fighting sleep? My DD would SCREAM in the pram and the car if she was getting tired. She just didn't know how to nod off on her own (because I always fed her to sleep). Things improved dramatically for us when I stopped feeding her to sleep, and she got a bit older...

Anyhoo...just a thought.

Jun 2008
    Tassie

oh the car thing, Ashton would scream and scream, until he was forward facing. I think he was getting car sick!! I hate sitting backwards on the bus and will stand if that is my only option because I get soooo sick.

Mar 2007

hmmmmmmm.......true anna, I think that is it!