Thread: Dangerous Dummies Still On Market

Default Dangerous Dummies Still On Market

Four dangerous childrens' dummies are still on sale in Australia despite the introduction of new safety standards, a consumer watchdog says.

The Tommee Tippee Latex Orthodontic Comforter with Glow Ring and Snap On Hood has ventilation holes which are too small for children to breath normally, Choice magazine says.

It also says the NUK Latex Smoother, Nuk Silicone Soother and the NUK Starlight Silicone Soother all have shields which are too small.

Children may inhale any of the three which could cause choking, it says.

Choice, an independent consumer watchdog, said it performed safety tests on the four products after receiving complaints from parents.

"We had been contacted by several distraught parents who have found these dummies fully inside their baby's mouths," Choice spokeswoman Indira Naidoo said.

"Parents who have bought these dummies should throw them out immediately."

The warning comes after the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) began an investigation in June into the dangers of six dummies then deemed dangerous by Choice.

In October, the federal government launched new safety standards in which dummies must have a safe shield size and shape, adequate ventilation holes, secure teat attachment and structural integrity.

"Choice is disappointed that despite alerting manufacturers to the dangers of their dummies, they have not addressed all these problems," Ms Naidoo said.

The ACCC is responsible for enforcing the new standards, but Choice is urging retailers to remove the dummies from sale.

Choice has reported their most recent findings into the four dummies it claims are dangerous to the ACCC.

Tallon managed to get the Avent dummy completely in his mouth once. I had the right one too for his age.

I suppose shops are just going to keep them out to get rid of them, unless a product recall is made and then they have to get them off the shelves.

Fraser Guest

ok I am never going to remember all those dummy name - perhaps could someone list what are the safe ones to buy?

When i went to the Babies expo here in melb, i sat near the nuk stall for ages, warning everyone who was going to buy their dummies they are dangerous.

Fraser - I use the tommee tippee super soft comforters. They are like $3.10 for 2, and they are pretty strong. Used them for Declan and Anneliese and never have had a problem, at all. You just buy them where you buy dummies normally, you can get a purple and aqua pack, or purple and pink pack.
    Last edited by simone; December 19th, 2006 at 09:36 AM.

Melinda Guest

Jacob used to have the NUK dummies until I became aware of this, which freakishly happened at the same time as I found him in the loungeroom with one fully inside his mouth! He thought it was hilarious but obviously I did not!

So they were all disposed of straight away. He now has Avent ones.

Melinda - thats who i recommended to all those poor women who were going to buy the nuk death traps (oops, i mean dummies LOL) AS they were close to the nuk stall and are good quality.

Im just disgusted the govt hasnt made the companies recall them if they are dangerous to children.

Thats terrible... why dont they just recall them all like they do every other product that is a risk?!

Wow Liz. Jesse uses the Avent ones and i always thought that the shields were huge, well big enough not to have that problem. Guess its something you just have to supervise either way whatever brand you have.

We just stopped giving Lily the nuk dummies a few months ago. Not because of this but because the actual silicone teat thing ripped off a few of them.

That awful Tegan!! These things should be taken off the market.. Who would be the best to talk to regarding thi?? Its just a disaster waiting to happen, a baby swallows it and dies, THEN they say "oh, product recall NOW that a baby has died..." what a JOKE!! Im so mad

Thanks for lettig us know Nat, a friend of mine has just bought a huge hamper full of stuff for Macauley and it has heaps of the Nux silicone soothers in, would i be able to take them back to the shop?

Naomi- if they are still in the packet I dont see why not, especially if you ask to exchange them instead of get a refund.

That should be fine Naomi, just say your son doesnt like them and you would like to buy his usual brand.

i just saw an advert in 'practical parenting' mag for nuk they say they meet the australian standards?? now i am confused

It is pretty disgusting and you would think Nuk is a good, reputable brand! Not any more. I use Happy Baby dummies - they are the cheapest on the market and rated the highest in the Choice Magazine study. The hospital I delivered at also recommend them (and use them) as do many MCHC.

i stopped using the nuk dummy when Josiah was about 2 months old - the shields are just way too small, and they don't get bigger as the teat gets bigger.

Tommee Tippee all the way here - at least I know the shields are big enough that he's not going to get it in his mouth - not all at once anyway

Bel

None of my kids were/are really into dummies, but occasionally Macauley uses one just to settle, i have always bought the Tommee tippee ones, i'll go to Target and see if they will let me exchange them

OMG, i have 4 NUK ones as i thought they were the best on the market.....now im worried. I never wanted to give Chelsea a dummy from the start but it calmed her so i gave in. I have not had a problem with them so far....but now im freaking out.

Never again am i leaving her with a dummy in her mouth when she sleeps....

I cant wait to show DH this thread when he gets into work.....

*shocked*