Thread: Day sleeps

Default Day sleeps

My little man is 11 months old and currently still on 2 days sleeps (well most days has done a few one sleeps over the past fortnight) which I think he still needs.

Issue (if I could call it that!) - is with their timing).

He wakes anytime between 6-7am and then will go back down for morning nap between 9.30 to 10.00am. If I put him down early he will probably chat away to his toys in his cot before going to sleep. He will then wake about 11.00/11.30ish but I then struggle to get him to go down anyway early in the afternoon. More often than not it will be closer to 3.30 by the time he goes to sleep in the afternoon at which stage I then have to wake him so that this sleep doesn't morph into teatime etc etc. He is going to bed at 7.30pm (this pushed out from 7pm over the past few weeks). Most of the suggested "routines" that I've looked at seem to indicate that they would have their afternoon nap between 1.30 to 3pm.

Not anyway anal about trying to stick to a "routine" that is just printed in a book as will do what suits him but wondered did anyone else have bub who seemed to still need two sleeps but could last pretty long time in between sleeps during the day? Or is this just transition to one sleep?

Sorry hope it makes sense. I do wake him especially in the evening by 4.30 at latest.

I wouldn't worry too much, are you happy with the way he's sleeping? I kind of tended to go with the flow with my bubs. DD is 12 months old and has her first nap at around 9:30-10am and has her second nap around 1:30-2pm. I've had to enforce these times to work around picking my DS1 up from school.

Sometimes reading suggested routines can do your head in! If you and your bub are happy with the way things are, then I would leave it. 7:30pm is a very reasonable time to go to bed at night and it sounds like it's all fitting in nicely .

My DS has pretty much the same routine as yours.. and it works for us. He is having nice long naps during the day and sleeps through the night and as long as he is happy why change anything!! : )

I find if he does happen to sleep a little later in the morning, he will only have one sleep during the day but it is usually more like a 3-3.5hr sleep.

I wouldn't worry so much about what the books say, and do what works for you and your DS.

While I haven't followed any book precisely DD (14mth but doing this rountine since about 8mths) did this rountine naturally she goes down at 9.00am for 30-45mins and then down at 1.30 for 1.5hrs, then ready for the bed at 6.30am. The book I read is BAbybliss which says from 9mths the morning sleep should be shorter 45mins. As I said DD did this naturally always having a shorter sleep in the morning but it works very well for us.