Thread: Daylight Savings and Sleep Patterns

wowzah Guest

Default Daylight Savings and Sleep Patterns

Hi - I hope I have posted this in the right place!

Well over here in WA we have had one hour daylight savings this summer, for a 3 month trial. As it ends at the end of March which more or less when baby #2 is due, and we went away for 4 weeks over xmas, we decided that instead of trying to make DS (17 months) adapt to new times, we would stick with what we had.

Prior to daylight savings, he was a solid 7.30 to 7.30 sleeper. So we merely starting putting him to bed at 8.30, and for the first few weeks he slept till 8.30am which was great.

For the past month or so though he has pretty consistently been waking between 6.30 and 7am. We have tried putting him to bed earlier, later, more and less day sleep, darkening the room etc etc everything we could think off. Unfortunately it would seem his body clock has simply adjusted.

I am starting to worry that once daylight savings ends for us at the end of March, we are going to be stuck with either a 9.30pm bed and a 7.30 wakeup, or an 7.30 bed with a 5.30 wakeup. I don't really want either with a newborn in the house! 7.30 - 7.30 suited me great, or even 8 - 7 I would be happy with.

So I was wondering what other mums do in this situation? Do you think he will just readapt and go back to a better routine? Or am I really stuck with it? If I want to change it what can I do, and how long should I wait after baby (don't want to have him deal with too many things all at once).

Thanks in advance!

A

I looooove Daylight savings cos then DD is getting up at 7.00 not 6.00am!! However we've found that at the end of daylight savings, when you get the extra hour sleepin, it's not so much of an issue cos it's getting darker anyway so it's easier to set what time you put them to sleep anyway.

Me too, it's like a reward after being good Daylight Savings citizens! Also, I love that extra hour cos it means AUTUMN and that's my favorite season!

We havent really had any changes in sleep pattens after the first week or so. Im hoping that it continues like that when it reverts back again. I actually love daylight savings. We are always outside so for us having more daylight to enjoy outside activities ..well i love it!

Jo

wowzah Guest

lol caro I had to go back and re-read your post as I though you were referring to your stupid dear son lol

Sorry

Yeah I'm not a fan of it either. And out in the sticks as I am all the farmers around whinge about it too.

It was very clever of them to do it so quick though to get the whole education thing and good old Liliana Ravlich off the map....