Thread: Daytime sleep

Default Daytime sleep

I know this has been asked before but what age did your toddler cut out their day time sleep ??

The last week or so Alex has stopped sleeping in the morning and i have to make him have a sleep after lunch. He's fine once he is asleep but it's hard getting him to go sleep.

Do you think 14months is too young to be cutting out a day time sleep ?

Michelle, I had Blake's 12month MCHN check last week and she said at 12 months Blake should still be having 2 sleeps (he has one) so I imagine "by the book" 14 months is way to early to give up sleeps completely but each child is different. You may find he wants to give it up but is happy to watch a dvd for a while for some down time. Having said that, I'd be perservering for a while to try and get him to sleep. He may be going through a stubborn stage or something and he's flexing his muscles right now. He may just snap out of it and settle again fairly easily.

Toy Tester Guest

Hi Michelle.
    My DS is 13mo (nearly 14mo) and only has one sleep through the day. This is normally just after lunch and he sleeps anywhere between 1/2 hour to 1 hour. This has been the go since he was 1yo. Occasionly he will have another nap at 4pm however when he does, we know he wont be going to bed at 8pm. (normally about 9pm).

Although he is a pretty good sleeper at night. 8pm - 7am (sometime 9am)

Mick

MUMMY4LIFE is offline .: ~ Don't regret anything that ever made you smile ~ :.

Hi Michelle, my DS at 12mths old was still having 2 day sleeps and now at almost 3 he still has 1 day sleep. I agree each child is different, I think that once the day sleep starts to affect the night sleep (too much sleep) then try and cut it out.

I think I've worked out why he doesn't want to have a sleep or not much of one during the day. He's been waking later in the mornings so he's having around 13.5hrs sleep a night. Hopefully he will go back to his old routine but i do like the fact i sometimes get to sleep in.
    Both of mine have always been awake for 6am so to get them to sleep past 7 is great fo me.

I just read somewhere yesterday that said it's normal for bubs to cut out one sleep (and only have one sleep during the day ) between 9-18 months, so there's a big range there. Im looking forward to only one sleep!! I will be putting her to bed around 1pm.
    xo

We just cut it out about a month ago (18 months). She was waking at night wanting to play when she had never done before so that's how we knew it was time. She had been having two 1-2 hour sleeps a day until that point plus sleeping 12 hours at night - it was just too much.
    It took a little while for her to adjust to being up longer during the day but she's fine now. Good luck with it.

Mackenzie had 2 sleeps (around 1-1.5 hours) a day until she was around 14mths. Now she just has one - after lunch and sleeps usually 1.5 hrs but slept for 3 the other day!

Aidyn is on one nap per day (he is 26months old). He cut out his 2nd nap sometime before 18 months (you know I'm sure I've written it somewhere else on here, but I just cant remember exactly when it happened!)
    Maybe you could try moving his nap time to the early or mid- afternoon?

Alex has only had one sleep a day for a good 6 months now. I left him till 1pm to get him to have his sleep today and he's gone to sleep no trouble at all. Maybe i just need him to go to sleep later in the day now.