Thread: Desperate need of sleep HELP!

Default Desperate need of sleep HELP!

My 14wk old has always been so good at sleeping. Pretty much from day one i have wrapped her, popped her dummy in, given her a quick pat while holding her across my body and she'd be asleep. About 2 months ago I started putting her into bed at night and popping back in every 5-10 mins to put her dummy back in and she'd fall asleep.
    I tend to find that if i just put her down during the day like i do at night she wont put herself off to sleep because she finds too much to look at and then gets overtired/stimulated and cries - meaning i just need to pat her off to sleep anyways.
    Now, for the past few days or so she SCREAMS every time I go to put her to sleep. I'm making sure she's not overtired, i'm doing the exact same thing i've always done and it's just not working. I've tried not wrapping her, not using a dummy, holding her vertically against me instead of across my body, laying down in bed with her, putting her down on her own (obviously i havent done all these things in one go), but NOTHING works.
    I dont get angry or frustrated with her and i say things to her like 'its ok...just relax...i'm here' but she just screams. I get so worried because then she gets so hot...I dont know...I just dont know what else to do...what happened to my happy sleeper?!

I found around the same time my DD started screaming at every day sleep. It would take us an hour to settle her and it is exhausting. We found her bouncer a great help, she would still scream but no where near as long and settle to sleep much quicker.
    Just recently we went and got help about it and we were told tp put her down awake, if she cries then pat her or do like a body roll type thing in the cot, once she stops crying leave the room, if she starts again repeat. If she is getting really upset pick her up calm her and go back to the patting.
    I think it was just perseverence for us cause we also had tried everything but would think something wasn't working after a day and move on to next thing. The first couple days I think we were cuddling her more than patting but then she started screaming less and settling alot easier. I also liked this way cause you were there to comfort when needed as you helped them learn to sleep.

Just wanted to add with the above we were also told to try it for 30-60mins (whatever suits you) and if still unsettled, go for a walk or drive or carry her in a sling then try again at next nap.
    Last edited by shellbell3; March 13th, 2007 at 09:36 AM.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

There are quite a few sleep articles on the main site, http://www.bellybelly.com.au/articles/baby
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

We had day sleeps in the pram for a while around that time. Fantastic for puttng to sleep and keeping him asleep! hehe... coz you can just quickly rock the pram if he stirs.

Hope things settle down soon

NewmumLou Guest

Wow this means your little girl knows her routine well, she recognises her room as sleep time. As they get older they tend to get more cheeky and more switched on. She probably knows if she goes to sleep she will miss out on spending time with you. I use to put Joshua in his indoor swing and let him watch a little Hi 5 until he got really drowsy and then i would place him in his cot! I was a bit funny about letting Joshua cry himself to sleep as i want him to think sleep time is pleasent not a punishment! Goodluck!

HOORAY! Just got her to sleep with no tears, she just didn't want to be wrapped! I just held her for 5 minutes (with her dummy) and that was it! Cross your fingers for success tonight!!!

Great news Taralee

Oh, I know this story too well. Cooper used to sleep so well till about 16 weeks, and then the dummy became an issue. It was absolutely fantastic for settling him and he would go to sleep very easily, but over time, I found myself having to pop the dummy in his mouth sometimes 4 times in the night. Only just last week, I got rid of it, but I am still having problems with him because he remembers it very well and I am finding it hard some days to get to sleep.

Some mothers' babies have no problems with the dummy, but Cooper would wake and wouldn't settle until it was back in his mouth - I tried patting him back to sleep...so my advice...GET RID OF THE DUMMY! Whilst I am having problems with getting him to sleep, he usually has a better sleep because there is no dummy to pop back in the mouth! Perhaps it won't be a prob, but I say better get rid of it now whilst she is young, and saves you any problems when she is older.

I must say, you have to perservere once you decide to take the dummy away. Cooper screamed the house down and it was so hard to not give it back to him, but after a few days, it got easier. Someone said to me (and it is very wise advice), once you decide to get rid of it, don't give it back, because it will confuse your baby.

Anyway, this is just my thoughts.

Good luck

Well we had tears and screaming at first with daddy, then i took over (he needed a break!) and she calmed down to a doze - wrapped up with dummy. when i put her down in her cot she wiggled free of the wrap and started sucking on her hands. i decided to leave her for a while to see if she'd settle herself back to sleep, she didnt, so i rewrapped and she happily let me hold her how i used to, she then went to bed no worries.
    I just dont get why she is doing the big screaming thing at first when she just ends up settling normally anyways...
    I'm desperately trying to thing of any foods i've been eating that may be upsetting her because I am beginning to think its wind. the only different thing i can think of is i've begun exercising every other day. thats the only thing i'm doing differently...but i wouldnt think that would be affecting her, would it?

I've been having a similar thing with Angus plus pulling off the breast and screaming. I just got out The Wonder Weeks and lo and behold 14-15 weeks is the start of the fussy period for Wonder Week 19. The unsettled sleeping, extra need for mum and change in appetite are major signs that they are growing developmentally again. I too have been worried about what I've been eating (and actually getting him tested for allergies tomorrow) but hopefully it is just this period. I'm not looking forward to the next few weeks but at least I know it's normal and am now feeling less anxious. Hang in there!

thanks blackbird, thats all i needed to know...i can deal with a phase!