Thread: Diarhhea

Unhappy Diarhhea

Hey all,
    Jenna has come out with a runny bum today. She is not even a lttle bit upset by it, still eating happily and drinking. I've tried to get some gstrolyte into her - she's not buying it so far.... Grrr

Anyway - she's done about 3 runny stinky as poos in about 3 hrs, and the last one had mucous in it. It actually looked like really stringy cervical mucous (sorry if TMI) and there was heaps! The other stuff in it was sort of solidish - looked a bit like chewed up meat.

Should I be getting her to the dr? I've never seen mucous in poo before. I've done a quick google, and it doesn't look too ominous, but just very wierd.

Thanks
    Fi

Matilda had a bit of gastro and had diarrhoea for 2 weeks, there were times that it was a bit mucousy... ewwww.

Our GP said to just give her binding foods & see if that helps, like boiled rice bland and mashed bananas. He said to keep up her fluids I could feed her jelly & she took to that. I just kept giving her extra bottles diluted by half formula half water and she didn't seem to mind at that time. The other thing was to cut out all other dairy as it can exacerbate tummy bugs.

Whenever Hannah gets diahorrea I give her slippery elm powder - you get it from the health food shops and it was what our Dr in NZ recommended. It seems to help alot. I give Hannah 1/2 tspn once a day in some yogurt or mixed into her dinner.

When Ryan has diarroeah it sometimes has been mucosy, i panicked at first, but my gp said it was normal and to make sure he gets plenty of fluids, he didn't take to the gastrolyte either

Thanks guys. I've had an "attached" day with her today. It was liek she was a newborn again - very sweet She just slept on my chest in front of a couple of DVD's and after this morning not eating anything, she just had a very wet nappy from the water/gatorade I got in her at lunchtime.
    I rang my parents, and Dad told me not to worry abotu the mucous. I love having a geeky scientist medical type father sometimes!

Fi

Cath78 Guest

Chloe has had this problem today - already 4 dirty nappies - each one progessively runnier than the previous. She doesn't seem upset by it - she is teething but these are different than the 'teething poos' she had before. She hasn't been wanting bottles for a while but will eat solids well. I've tried to get fluids into her with a sippy cup but she's not into that either!! Should I be worried?

Plus 2 questions:
    *Any ideas as to how to get more fluids into her
    *what 'binding' foods can a give an 8th month old who can only handle pureed food (other than the usual rice cereal)?