Thread: Did you have 2 under 2? How did you cope?

Question Did you have 2 under 2? How did you cope?

Hi lovely ladies,

DD had such a great time playing with her 2 & 3 year old cousins last weekend that it makes me think she is really in need of a playmate. I'd like there to be less than 2 years between them (I think!).

How did/do you cope with a toddler and a newborn? - two lots of nappies etc etc.

Would love to hear about your experiences and words of wisdom

My 2 princesses are 20 months apart and TBH its not easy but i cope fine. I found the first 3 months the toughest but my DD2 was quite unsettled for the first 3 months and we had BFing issues that i felt put me under stress as it was something i really wanted to do. I did go through lots of nappies but my DD1 is now 2yrs and 3 months and TT so for me i only had 6 months of 2 in nappies. I found the hardest thing was/is DD1 wanting to "help" with everything and although it was/is lovely it can be very tiring and lots of patience is needed. If i turn my back for a second DD1 is undressing her and trying to change her nappy or trying to feed her etc. I found DD1 was a bit little to understand how fragile her sister was (she's even accidently broken her collar bone while i have been in the same room ) I will say though now DD2 is 7 months DD1 has more understanding it is alot easier. Although i say this in my mothers group there are 3 of us with less than 2yr gaps and my DD is the only big sister the others are big brothers and they show minimal interset in their new sis/bro's. The other mums cant believe how much my DD1 likes to be involve. All in all we have our good and our not so good days but i love how close my girls are already and i wouldn't change it for the world.

If you have any Q's do ask i'd be happy to answer.
    Hoody

I had 2 under 12 months....of course they are now aged 9 months and 19 months. Come January next year ill have 2 under 2 (newborn and a 14 month old) plus a then 25 month old!

I found it so much easier then everyone made it out to be. I got them both into the same routine from a very early age.The go to bed at the same, feed at same time, play together. At first it was extremely hard as DD1 wanted my attention when i was trying to BF DD2...but she soon learnt that as soon as mummy was done...it was all 'me' time.

For me routine was the key element that made life so much easier.

Nappies for me was ok. I started off in sposies for DD2 and i was a bit lasy and DD1 was in them as well. Now they are both back into MCN and i use alot of OSFM so i dont have to worry about sizes. I have my lasy days and sposies come out!

DD2 went FF at 3 weeks and DD1 was (and still is) on formula so 2 lots there. but at least now they are on the same #3 and #4 teats.

Really i found it so much easier having them closer them spreading them out over a longer age gap...and as you can see between #1 and #2 is 11 months, and between #2 and #3 is a 14 month age gap

frazaled1971 Guest

i had my first four in 4.5 years the yunger 3 were 2,1, and a new born and yes it was hard but i got them all in the same routine and while some of its a blur it wasnt anywhere near as bad as people made out it would be had number 5 4.5 years after number 4 and forget the routine it just never happened and have just had number 6 7.5 years after number 5 and while he is in a great routine as the others are now 17,15,13,12,and 8 everyone is all over the place and i feel its heaps harder now that they are older then when they were little.

Hi Girls,

thanks for your replies.

Hoody it sounds like Mia is a real little mini mummy

Frazaled, it's interresting that you found it easier when they were all little. I never really thought of it that way. 4 under 4.5 must have been really full-on, but I guess it didn't stop you having more

Wow Kimbaz, 2 under 12 months, and #3 on the way - that sure is an achievement!

I can imagine that the first 3 months must be the hardest. Especially if the new addition is a little unsettled.

Anyone else out there want to put their 2 cents worth in???

My first three were all 20mths apart and I found it to be easy because I was already in 'baby mode' with the nappies, taking nappy bags with you etc so I never had a problem at all and I still think it was the perfect gap for us to have. Granted it does have its challenges though, but you get that regardless of what age gap you have.