Thread: Dirraerah - HELP!

Default Diarrhea - HELP!

DS has had diarrhea since yesterday arvo and now his bum & testicles are red. I've stopped using the huggies wipes and changed to wiping with water on a flannelette cloth and put zinc & castor oil cream all over the area. Do you think this'll help stop the soreness - he screams at the (all too frequent) nappy change. Is there something else I should use?

What should I be doing about food - he doesn't seem very hungry, but at lunch time had some yoghurt & played with a rice cake and some peas & corn - some went in the mouth dunno how much. I'm giving him extra bf and hydralite, cause he doesn't want his water.

And now the cat has thrown up - at least its in the bathroom.

Last edited by Snowy Love; October 30th, 2007 at 04:25 PM.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Keep giving him the extra feeds and hyrdalite and just keep an eye on him and if he seems at all lethargic, take him to hospital. With his bottom, keep doing what you are and if it doesn't improve, then I would take a visit to the dr to get some antibiotic cream.

Hope he feels better soon, poor mite.

You could also try Bepanthen ointment... my little bub used to get a red bum but a friend put me onto this and I put it on once a day and have never had any probs since... I hope he feels better soon!!

My poor DD had gastro not long ago and got the sore bum from it. I used Sudocream on her for the rash - it is easier to spread but stays on longer than things like curash. Zinc is the best for staying on but is so thick it can hurt to put on
    Don't worry about the food yet - when he is hungry he will eat. It took DD a week to get her appetite back. When they're sick and not eating, their tummy shrinks so it can take a little while for the appetite to build back up.
    If you're worried about hydration, gastrolite is good but there is a pead version called peadalite (available only at the Chemist). Does the same thing but is designed for kids. We used this but DD prefered the water .

Hope your little one is better soon.

MG

Yes. DS went completely off his food, but I gave him heaps of extra bottles diluted down a bit with more water than required.

His poor little bum was almost glowing in the dark. What I found really helped it was I didn't put anything on it but (you seem to know when the diarrhoea is going to strike because it's usually very close to a feed - just goes straight through them) I put him on a towel on the floor after his baths and let his bottom air. When I started doing that it really, really helped. Then I would put nappy rash cream on, just to put a barrier between the acid when his bottom was dry.

Thank you for your replies - I rand my parents last night after DS cried so much at the nappy change he threw up, to get them to go to the after hours chemist to get something for his poor bum. My wonderful step-Mum rang the chemist (I'd never think of doing that) and he said zinc & castor oil was the best thing to use. I took DS to the Dr today and got some cream so hopfully he'll have a happy bum soon.