Thread: Do all babies love cuddles?

Default Do all babies love cuddles?

Just wondering....Kyla is not really that much of a snuggler or cuddler. She'll sit happily on our laps if she has something to do and lift up her arms to be picked up (she likes being held and carried) but has never really liked cuddling and although she used to love falling asleep in our arms, she now gets annoyed when we put her in the "sleepy" position and will not fall asleep...whereas she will in her bed.
    Just wondering if this is strange...or do other babies do this too.
    Remembering that her corrected age is 7.5months.
    TIA

Matilda has only recently started giving us cuddles willingly. I think before then she was just too busy and as an independant little sausage cuddles were "too much". I honestly was devestated as I LOVED the closeness we had while we were co-sleeping and using the sling. But lately at around 23 months she started running up to us & asking for a cuddle. Its so beautiful we stop what we are doing immediately and give her one. It doesn't last for super long, but it is so precious we treasure all the cuddles we can get now.

Paris wasn't a big cuddler either, but now she's a cuddle bunny! Don't fret, its perfectly normal Some kids are cuddly as babies some aren't and it changes through every stage for everyone I'm sure.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Thanks Cai and Christy. I saw the MCHN on Friday who said that Kyla should be having 3 solid meals a day and that she was delayed in her gross motor skills a bit..... so now I'm stressing!

Debbie Lee Guest

Carrie - Gab used to be like that too. She would fall asleep in my arms as a little one but I had to sit still and not rock her. She got to a point where she would put herself to sleep in her cradle and preferred to not be cuddled to sleep at all.
    She wasn't a snuggly, cuddly baby - apparently I was the same when I was a baby (according to Mum).
    Once she started teething, it became a different story. Gab now enjoys cuddles and even says "Awwww" when she cuddles us or her dolly's.

So, take heart... Kyla's lack of cuddles might change?

Can I also add.... trrry not to let the MCHN stress you out. They seem to have a tendency to do that with Mum's (esp. first-time Mum's!). If you think something is really, really up, perhaps see your GP or Paed??

Eliza will wiggle herself out of any embrace...no snuggle cuddles here
    I find though if she is sick she will let us hold her till she sleeps, I can't even give her a bottle in my arms. But yesterday she was walking around and I put my arms out for a big hug and she ran to me.
    There is hope
    Bec

DS is now one, and he has never liked cuddling. He doesnt even want to sit on my lap for a couple of minutes, He would rather be on the floor playing with his toys. We cant even console him when he is sick, just doesnt like cuddles. This makes me feel a bit sad, because i love hugging him. He is just starting to give me cuddles when i first get him out of his cot in the mornings.

Carrie, Emma is not particularly cuddly either. But she isn't a very sleepy baby & I think that has something to do with it. She still loves to be with us, but always wants to be moving!

I'm so happy to hear of these non cuddly babies who become cuddly as toddlers! I hope this happens for us!!

Thanks so much everyone! It's reassuring to know that Kyla is not the only one - and that maybe she'll grow into cuddles!
    I do have an appointment with the prem people tomorrow and the pead on Thurs - so will find out if I need to worry re: eating and gross motor skills.
    I think she will be fine though....The MCHN never fails to make me worry
    Thanks again!!

Debbie Lee Guest

Good job, Carrie. I hope that the prem people and the pead can reassure you or at least give you a definitive answer on Kyla's progress.

Carrie MCHN's job is to make us mother's think we are doing everything wrong
    No I will admit there are some fantastic ones out there, but there are also others that are a bit outdated too. Matilda wasn't on 3 solid feeds until she was 9 months and nothing was delayed developmentally...

Lily has always hated cuddles and being wrapped up. She's only just starting to give cuddles when we ask. But if she doesn't want to and we don't ask then she get's heaps cranky.