Thread: do babies sleep more when they're unwell?

Default do babies sleep more when they're unwell?

Milo has a cold, and is normally an average daytime sleeper, but he slept an hour past his normal feed time this morning..

Debbie Lee Guest

Hi Rachael,
    Yep... they certainly can. Gab usually sleeps more when she's sick. The last lot of gastro she had she was asleep more than awake.
    Mind you, she's teething atm and won't sleep for the life of me, hehehe. So they do vary.
    Milo will be ok... just keep an eye on him and get as much fluid into him as you can while he's awake.

Rachael, my babies generally sleep longer when they are sick. Unless of course it's nighttime, then they never sleep It's just bubs body replenishing itself. Abit like us when we are sick we need the extra sleep to get better. Like Deb said make sure Milo is drinking plenty of fluids when he is awake. And enjoy the extra peace when he's asleep.

Like Deb and Trish have already said enjoy the quiet. Its little bubbas own way of fighting off badies.

Jo

I find that Matthew will sleep longer but also take longer to get to sleep.

Mackenzie often sleeps longer during her nap if she has a cold. She slept for 3.5 hours one day last week and then the next day her cold hit. I generally know when she is unwell and the longer sleeping seems to be the pattern.

Olivia sleeps loads if she is ever sick, but Charlie is the opposite: if he has a cold or a tummy upset, he won't sleep, only if he is in my arms......and then not for long.......but then once he is better, he sleeps heaps, almost to catch up, if that makes sense?