Thread: Does any one use a bumper on their cot?

Default Does any one use a bumper on their cot?

I have just put up a bumper on the top end half of ashleys cot.
    She scoots on her back at night and hits her head on the end of the cot and cries

I know the whole bumper thing is a big sids no no...

But are they really that bad?

Is there anything i should watch out for?

I have recently brought one aswell even though I know its a sids no no because DD keeps getting her legs or arms caught in the rails in the night & wakes up screaming cause she has hurt herself. I just get up and check on her alot more now through the night to make sure her face isnt near it.

I used bumpers but I have noticed a product called an air-wrap (I think??) it's like a mesh material wrap that goes around the cot to stop them getting caught in the rails but also allows air circulation.

Ashley always wants her face burried insomething - whether it is face down on her belly (she is always put on her back at night) - her wrap or a teddy. I think it is a comfort thing.

It is tied on by ribbon at 4 corners - how does yours attach?

If you really feel like you have to have it, make sure it's on very tight so there is not chance of her getting suffocated & also make sure the ribbons are very short so she can't be strangled with them. Personally I preferred Zander to bump his head or get his legs/arms stuck on occasion rather than risking it. JMHO.

Yes mine attaches by ribbon at the 4 corners aswell and slso in between. Ive just made sure its on very tight & check it eveytime I put her down.
    Laila everynight would be getting her legs & arms caught so I felt it was best I got one.
    Last edited by Zee; November 27th, 2007 at 01:04 PM.

The product Bec was talking about called air-wrap which allows air circulation, is in Big W pretty cheap. It looks alot safer then the normal bumpers.

I totally recomend the air wrap we put ours on after Jacks first night in his cot he nearly broke his arm he had it that caught up...

I would too suggest an air wrap or putting bubs in a sleeping bag if you have a prob with arm & legs hanging out. IMO it's just not worth the risk, they are a "no,no" for a reason. As for bumping, they will all do that, I think they get used to it or learn as Charlie is all over the cot too, but now that he's been like that for a while he doesn't wake up crying unless he's stuck in an odd position.

Laila wont sleep in a sleeping bag anymore, she just screams & screams. I will have a look at the air wrap cause I need something.. like Rach75 I really thought Laila would brake her arm/leg they way she would get her arm caught & bent up.

yes we have put the bumper on since about 7 months, and i also have about 5 or 6 bunny rugs in her cot and blankets around the edges so she doesn't hit her head, and she has about three small stuffed toys..... no ribbons or strings or anything like that to pose a strangling hazard though...

in my opinion once they are able to crawl and sit up and are not little newborns anymore, i honestly dont think a blanket or toy is going to pose a suffocation hazard. she buries her head into the bumper or into a blanket and goes to sleep that way, always with her head right up squished against the edge or end of the cot. funny little things arent they!