Thread: Does anyone else's toddler do this....

Default Does anyone else's toddler do this....

Take bites out of an apple, chew it a few times then spit it out

Grrrr, its so damn annoying!

I have stood in front of him and imitated chewing it but no he still spits it out so I am left to pick up the pieces of apple that are left everywhere!

Its frustrating! Does anyone have any little tricks or advice on how I can encourage him to swallow it?

yeah, I told dd no more apples until she ate them properly.

does it still have the skin on? I know DD hates the skin on pears/apples, not that she is up to the stage of eating them whole, but if it still has skin on she spits the whole piece out. It could just be experimentation too, it probably seems pretty cool taking a bite out of an apple and having a chunk in your mouth and a chunk missing from the apple

Ours insists on 'apple chips'.

That's a quartered apple, with the quarters cut smaller into 3 or 4 slivers. Seems to go down very well, and she eats most of an apple like that.

I have tried it all kinds of different ways - yes taken the skin off, left it on. Sliced it thinly, sliced into into squares and/or little pieces ... still the same result!!

LULU - thats what I said to him this morning in the end. Am so over it LOL

Yep I just offer an alternative instead, she eats pears happily.

Yep, my little guy does this. Very frustrating, but he does eat some so I just give it to him outside now.

Lol yes! I'll give him and apple, and 2 hours later I'll realise I haven't heard him talk...so I go up to him with a plate (or my hand), or take him to the bin and say 'spit it out' and out it all comes.

Yes Nelle! That's exactly what DS does!!!

deleted

My DS does it with meat. He loves the flavour and will walk around chewing on it for about 20 mins then all of a sudden will come up to you with a big handful of mashed meat. Also does it with apples. Crazy isn't it, I think he's figured out meat makes his tummy feel heavy so if he just chews it he gets the flavour and the nutrients without the tummy feeling... that or he's just wierd like his mummy!

Just be glad they're not doing it with something really mushy that would squish all over the floor!

DD does this when the skin is left on but usually she is kind enough to come over, grab my hand and spit it in there haha. When the skin is off she eats it no problem, mostly..

Hahahaha! I had to laugh at your thread because I understand EXACTLY what you're saying!!
    DS leaves a trail around the house
    I find thin slices are more likely to get eaten but even then, not every time. Sorry, I don't have any suggestions as to how to make them swallow it. Hopefully they just will with age?