Thread: Does your toddler screech/squeal?

cazoraz Guest

Default Does your toddler screech/squeal?

Does your toddler screech/squeal? What do you do to stop it???

Lucy has started doing it heaps and its driving me NUTS! She is doing it when happy, sad, naughty, whatever, she just doesnt seem to be able to contain herself and lets it rip. How do you explain how to keep your voice down to a 2yr old?

Please tell me they grow out of this!

xxxCaz

Melinda Guest

Yes!!! Jacob does this too!!! He seems to come and go with it - he'll go through phases where he'll do it constantly - happy, sad, tantruming, excited, you name it, he'll squeal! LOL

I try to ignore it where possible, although that's much easier said than done as they seem to be able to get it SO high-pitched that sometimes you think your eardrums will burst LOL!!!

both my older boys had times of screeching/squealing i found that if i gave them permission to do it they were less inclind to want to. i used to say it's ok to do that but you need to do it outside. that was an outside activity. that worked for me anyway and helped my poor damaged ears.

love beckles

Pietta Guest

I, thankfully, dont have a squealer but i think the idea of an outside activity is GREAT!!

Custardtart Guest

I know a lot of parents that make the child aware of 'inside voice' and 'outside voice'. I can't say it's foolproof, but it's a start! I do it with whistles - I can't stand whistles in the house, it hurts my ears.

Kerrie

cazoraz Guest

Oh why didnt I think o findoor & outdoor voices! #-o

My mum is a primary school teacher and tends to talk VERY LOUDLY so I always say to her 'indoor voice mum' to quiet her down!

Will start that one, I think it will work especially because Lucy loves to be outdoors.

Thanks
    xxxCaz

Melinda Guest

I'll be trying that too!

Oh yes! All the time lol!

Amy does it and she is 4 1/2 months old. Cute but sometimes it hurts my ears. Sorry can't help with toddlers.