Thread: Dominant Hand

Default Dominant Hand

How early can you tell which is going to be your babies dominant hand? We think that Tori may be left handed as she always seems to grab for everything with her left hand first. Is 4 months too early for them to be showing a dominance or not?

Hi Ali,

My first baby was clearly left handed from only a few weeks - he only reached for things with his left hand, to the point where we thought he might have had something wrong with his right side.

When he was old enough to turn pages of books, he always reached across his mid-line and turned with his left hand.

He is now a very strongly left handed 8 year old.

Cheers,
    a

Aidyn is 2.5 now, and I'm pretty sure he shows right hand dominance, although often will do things with his left hand - like eating from a spoon, which makes me wonder....

My DD showed clear hand dominance from before 12 months old. We always encouraged her to use both by engaging both her hands and feet, and doing kindergym etc, but she always preferred her right hand. The 'books' say that hand dominance doesn't occur until later but I remember thinking at the time that the book was clearly wrong!
    :-)