Thread: dressing Bubs

Fraser Guest

Default dressing Bubs

Ok - what is a good rule of thumb for deciding how much clothing to put on your bubs?

a midwife in hospital said look at what you're wearing and then triple it for a baby - ie; if you have a t-shirt on a bubs would need a singlet, tshirt and jumper..... does that sound right?

Charlie always seems to have a heat rash somewhere on his body because I get so paranoid about him being cold I think overdress him.

I know it seems like such an easy thing to work out but Im finding it quite difficult - although I do take clothes off if he's red in the face....

I always thought it was double, so a singlet & t-shirt when you're wearing a t-shirt. But really it's a personal thing, if bubby is a sweaty little man then he may need less clothing or vice versa if he seems to be a cold person.

I just play it by ear If I feel warm but Zander's arms are cold I tend to put a jumper on him.

I always thought it was one layer more than what you have on - like Sarah says.
    INterestingly, in Japan in summer where it is very, very hot, people all wear singlets as well as the next layer. I think you would find this is pretty common in most hot climates!
    Something to do with the singlet helping to insulate the body against heat..... I'm not sure.
    Anyway - we are always one layer more, but tend to run colder rather than hotter.

I heard it's one more layer than what adults have on.
    Caty gets cold little hands when she sleeps as she hates being swaddled, but the midwife today said that was ok and was no way to measure whether Caty is too cold.
    If your little man is too hot, I'm sure you'll find out, either by a sweaty face/neck/chest or some crying!

Debbie Lee Guest

Yep... Gab pretty much wears one more layer than I do unless it's super hot. She usually wears 1 layer less than me because she's nicer to look at nudey than I am, hahahaha.

NewmumLou Guest

Yup i agree with the other gals 1 more layer the nurse told me at the hospital!

Yep, one layer more than us!

I also go by the "one layer more" rule.

But it does get really really stinking hot here and if it's 35 degrees I'm not putting a singlet under his clothes! Usually then he just wears a t-shirt and nappy, or singlet and nappy if we're at home.

I find night time really difficult to dress them - it can get sooo hot here at night but early mornings are still quite cool...it's a constant drama LOL.

I was told that by our GP whatever youre wearing is what bubs should wear. Most of the time i also put a singlet under Jesse's clothes but if he's overdressed he sweats big time so when its hot like it has been lately he just wears the same amount as we do (without the singlet).

Fee Guest

From what I have read in books, babies should wear what you wear. It's only as a newborn that they cannot regulate their own body temperature.

I definitely would not triple the clothing!

So I dress Cooper how I am dressed. ATM he just wears a tshirt and pair of shorts. Or if his room feels really hot I take all his clothes off and just leave him in his nappy for his nap (even though I'm still wearing my clothes - but I may be sitting in the a/c in the lounge). But he doesn't have a/c in his room - just a ceiling fan.

Debbie Lee Guest

I think premmie bubbies need to wear triple when they are newborns??

My DD was born in the middle of a cold Sale winter, but I definitely dressed her in less than other babies as she was a hot and sweaty little creature (and still is to this day). I think you need to judge for yourself. Cardigans and little over jackets are a blessing as you can pop them on or off of a morning or evening when it's a bit cooler.
    :-)