Thread: drinking so much, wetting through

Question drinking so much, wetting through

Hi all
    I'm after some advice.
    In the last couple of weeks ds 15mo has started drinking so much water in the afternoon and evening that he almost always wets through his nappy (and everything else) at some point during the night.
    I'm at a loss as to what to do; I can't restrict how much water he has because sometimes he wakes thirsty, but I'd also rather not start changing him in the night in case it disturbs him and I can't get him back to sleep (although waking at 4:30 soaked through is not condusive to a good and full nights sleep either )
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Also, I'm wondering if I should be concerned that it could be something medical.
    I haven't noticed any smell to his wee or anything like that, could it still be diabetes or something?
    Any thoughts would be huuugely appreciated
    Thanks
    Lara

Is he in cloth or disposable?

DS did that in sposies, and i resorted to putting a pad in there as well, with some holes poked through it to let the wee get through to the nappy as well. I found hed do it for a week or two, then be fine, then another couple of weeks etc

We use the next size up nappy overnight, seems to hold more.

He's in disposables.
    I did try the latrger size, but it still happened.
    Driving me nuts

if it is related to the time of day it is unlikely to be diabetes...if it were he would normally extremely thirsty fullstop all day. If you are worried it is...... a simple finger stick blood test should set your mind at ease.

Lara first make sure he isn't just being a little ratbag and pulling his willy out the side of his nappy (you may have to resort to all-in-one suits like we do for Flynn LOL!!)

Otherwise I suggest you buy some ladies incontinence pads and put them in his nappy - they hold an adult amount of wee so you should be right

My DD is exactly the same and i am so suprised when she wakes up and her bed is dry!! I have told every doctor we see at the medical centre and they r not concerned, say its good she is drinkng water.. i am left with wet pj's and the bed..sometimes the mattress even though the mattress protector is "waterproof".
    I have seen in 'the sydney child' magazine that there are wee pads for putting on top of the sheet...but they dnt look really big so would u need to buy 3 too cover a king single ...which dd will be getting soon..so i too dont know what to do and may even try the pad.. but feel it will another ongoing expense, like nappies. Not that washing isnt expensive!!
    I usually change dd when if she wakes in the night too and that helps.
    Good lUCK.. Will keep track of this post.

I'd be getting him checked for diabetes just to be safe.

What brand of nappies do you use? Some are more likely to overflow than others when put under pressure. The best I've found are the Mamia ones at Aldi.... they can be heavy as when you take them off and still not have overflowed.... they are extremely absorbent.

i was also going to recommend larger size nappies.. but if that dosent work maybe try and get him to drink most of his water during the day and limit his intake in the afternoons, i have a friend that does this and it seems to work well for her.

you can buy a disp nappy pad to help with excessives wee's HTH

Thanks guys.
    I'll get him checked out just in case, but the incontinence pads sound like a good idea too.
    Or Rach, where would I get the disp nappy pad? If it's purpose made it might work best?
    Thanks again, I'll let you know how I go

they come in a yellow packet in the nappy aisles of woolies etc...umm..I shall see if I have the packet and come back and post the brand

ok they are Bebes ultra nappy mates

I have a pack here someone gave me if ya want to PM me your addy I can chuck em in the post for ya I dont use them but I know my sister did when her boys were little so I knwo they work

Wow, that would be great, thank you!