Thread: Dry Skin

Question Dry Skin

Abbey has dry skin patches on her, mainly on her arms and legs. They don't seem to worry her (ie not itchy) but they won't go away. I have tried paw paw cream, baby sorbelene and she bathes in QV oil. I don't know what else to try so any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Melinda Guest

It sounds like perhaps she may have a touch of eczema perhaps. That's how it was with Jacob too - they didn't bother him, but normal sorbolene twice a day (morning, and again at night after the bath) together with the QV Oil in the bath alone wasn't enough unfortunately (although these are definitely things to continue doing in order to hydrate the skin).

We took Jacob to the Doctor who firstly suggested Sigmacort, with is a 1% hydrocortisone cream and you can get it over the counter, but they can also write a script for it. This worked for a couple of little patches that were above his ear, but didn't help on the patches on his body, so we were prescribed Elocon which worked wonderfully well.

Kayla's skin has been rather flaky, but pretty much all over not just in patches so i have been massaging in baby oil.

Is the QV oil especially for babies or is it just normal bath oil? I am looking for something to use in her bath water instead of J&J top to toe. I think this may be drying her skin out.

Lisa, definately use the QV oil... It makes babies slippery, but WAY better for baby skin than J&J..
    I only bath my kids in water & bicarb soda... About a teaspoon, it makes the skin so soft & tender!!!

Amanda,
    i'd recommed the bicarb for your bubs too!

Hi

Kaitlyn had this exact same thing around 3months and the dr thought it was eczema as well ..but it wasnt thankfully. I washed her in sorbelene cream and stopped using JJ. They dont really need soap at that age anyway sorbelene is enough for cleaning. Then I would used Sorbelene on her as moisturiser after her bath. Now that she is a little older I have been able to reintroduce soap back into bath time but still only use sorbelene cream as a moisturiser.

Cass

Thanks!

I will try the bicarb and see how that goes but next time i go i will ask the doctor about it and see what he thinks. ive had eczema so maybe she is more susceptible to getting it too.