Thread: DS hit his head on the cot

Default DS hit his head on the cot

Im not sure where i should really post this.. but tonight DS hit his head pretty hard on his cot, he was wriggling around as i was dressing him and it made a big crack sound and there was a mark- he got himself just above the ear and down the side of his cheek- he cried a big cry and as it was bed time, i put him on the boob and he has gone to sleep....

I guess my question is should i have LET him go to sleep or should i have kept him awake for a bit to make sure he was ok.. he didnt loose conciousness or anything, and the red mark went away after a few mintutes, he has been sleeping now for about 20 mintues and i have checked on him and he is still sleeping, but moving abit in his sleep (nothing unusual about that) it just made such a big noise when he hit his head, i am worried he may have really hurt it- but then he calmed down quickly so i dont know!! This is the first time he has really hit his head so i am just being a bit of a nervous mummy... well he has just woken up happy enough.... should i keep him up or just go about as normal??????

TIA

I would go and wake him now. He may have a concussion. It may be a pain to get him back to sleep but better be safe than sorry

Thanks for your reply ubba.. he woke on his own and is his usual playful self, i will keep him amused for a bit longer before trying to get him to sleep again, thank you again

My pleasure, glad he is ok. You can never be too careful with head injuries. Still keep an eye on him though.

This will not be the first time that he will hit his head that you hear the crack. I have a pretty active dd and she has had her fair share of falling out the cot, bumping her head in the bath and just plain falling down in the run. It's not nessesary to keep him from his sleep. The thing you need to look out for in a concussion is if he vomits or looks disorrientated.

Here you go hun ... got this off the net for you

"What's a concussion?
    When a closed-head injury — meaning one in which no object penetrates the skull — causes a change in the normal functioning of the brain, it's called a concussion. The injury might be from a violent blow, a fall, or a severe shaking.

A child with a concussion may lose consciousness or have problems with his vision, memory, or balance. This sounds scary, but in most cases the effects are minor and temporary and the child recovers completely.

How can I tell if my toddler has a concussion?
    Look for one or more of these symptoms following any trauma to the head:

• loss of consciousness

• headache

• dizziness

• confusion

• nausea

• vomiting

• irritability

• drainage, clear or bloody, from his nose, mouth, or ears

When should I call 911?
    If your toddler hits his head and starts breathing irregularly, has convulsions, or is unconscious, call for immediate help. Don't move him unless he's in danger of being hurt further. Perform CPR if he isn't breathing, and if he's bleeding, cover the wound with a clean cloth and apply pressure.

When should I call the doctor?
    It's common for children to hit their head when they fall, and in most cases there's nothing to worry about. If your toddler loses consciousness, though, have him checked out by his doctor or by the doctor at the emergency room.

Sometimes, even with a minor blow, the brain can be injured. Also take your child to see a doctor right away if he hit his head and in the next day or two he:

• Has a lingering headache, lightheadedness, or vomiting. It's okay to have a headache that's relieved by acetaminophen or a bout of vomiting after a fall. But neither should persist.

• Seems unusually sleepy during the day or can't be awakened at night. Try waking your toddler a couple of times the first night after his fall, just to make sure you can.

• Has any problems with his coordination, mental ability, or strength — like weakness in his arms or legs, slurred speech, confusion, or impaired vision.

Can a concussion cause permanent brain damage?
    Only in rare cases. But a second concussion before symptoms from the first one have cleared can be dangerous — there's a higher risk of brain damage and even death. So if your toddler did have a concussion and lost consciousness, your doctor will probably advise you to keep him from getting too rambunctious for a couple of weeks."

With what you described .. I would not worry

Thanks for that!! I think he is ok- showing none of those signs!! He is back in bed now- we will see for how long!

It's a pleasure .. I'm sure he's just fine.

DD slipped in the bath once and I tried to catch her, but instead of hitting the back of her head, she slapped her ear into the side and it was purple and swollen for a WEEK!! Poor baby. That was just two days after she climbed off the bed and hit her face (just off the eye) against the bedside table and were the proud owner of her first shiner. She looked like she was the victim of grievious abuse