Thread: dummies

Default dummies

Just wondering if every baby but mine likes their dummy ??
    We didnt want to use one our little girl at first. But around 2 weeks old all she wanted to do was eat , and she didnt like water - so we tried giving her the dummy.. No chance , she knows its a " fake feed " and she spits it out straight away...
    She's 6 weeks old now , and there are moments ( like riding in the car ) when she becomes a bit hysterical , and we would love to calm her down with a dummy instead of milk.. is there a way to get them used to it??
    Seems everytime I see a baby around Aneta's age they are happily sucking away on their dummy and I'd love to say to her " see! thats how its done! " hehe.. if only it was that easy
    Any suggestions?

littlerigger Guest

with ryan we introduced his for the same reason (he just wanted to suck). at first he didn't want a bar of it so I would let him suck my pinky knuckle, then swap it for the dummy. after a couple of days of this he realised the dummy wasn't that bad

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

We tried everything to get Charlie to take a dummy, coz he was such a sucky baby. We tried coating it with my milk, tried 4 different brands and 5 different shapes and sizes. We even put the tiniest dab of honey on it (norty, I know) Nothing worked!

Even now, he'll suck on his knuckle or his bottom lip but he still won't take a dummy. And I've tried the quick-swap trick too, but he's wise to me! I too look longingly at bubbies sleeping contentedly in their prams with a dummy in their mouths while Charlie screams for the boob.

So you're not alone! Lol!

Nope your not the only one Enigma- Tori also refuses to take a dummy, even after many attempts. We also tried 4 brands and none of them seem to work. We dont force the issue because she makes herself gag on them sometimes, so we just do without. She actualley prefers to suck on her own fist, and yesterday she managed to get her thumb in her mouth and suck on that for a while.

Must be fairly common, Jack would never take one either. I never worried too much though as he didn't cry much and when he did he seemed genuinely hungry (although maybe he wasn't and I could have avoided feeding every hour or two!!). The good thing about him not taking a dummy was we never had to worry about getting him to stop taking a dummy! I know many parents who have struggled with this.

Toy Tester Guest

My DS kept spitting the dummy. We bought the flat style because they were supposed to be a lot better (Orthodontic style). They weren't cheap either.
    So DS remained unsettled. Then the midwife asked if we had a cheap brand cherry style, and he took to it straight away.

DS is now 14mo and we limit his dummy time now (trying to wean him off) to when he gets grizzley or bed time.
    Personally i believe dummies are better than thumbs, because i believe it will be easier to take him off it eventually. A thumb is always there....IMO anyway.

Mick

DS loved his dummy the minute he was given it! However, now he cries just as loud with it in his mouth, so I cant settle him with it anymore when he is crying.

rebecca papallo Guest

My daughter never took to a dummy or a bottle but at around 3 months she discovered her thumb and now it's always in her mouth!
    When it's not she has a toy or teether in there. At least her thumb is always there when she needs it and she can't lose it and cry.
    Maybe your baby will take to a dummy once they get to the stage when they are chewing on everything?

hmmm its some kind of anti dummy conspiracy

Some babies just don't like them...my daughter took one when she was born but she really wasn't very fussed on it. Didn't really care if it was there or not. By about 5 months or so she point blank refused to have anything to do with it....she much preferred her thumb LOL.

Hi Enigma. My DD is just 3 weeks younger than her cousin. She took a dummy well from a week old, however our nephew wouldn't, and was very hard to settle.

Finally at about 10 weeks old he started taking the dummy. Not positve if it was age or that they finally found a dummy brand that he liked (Nuk btw).

Goodluck.

Gus wouldn't take a dummy either. We must have bought every brand on the market trying to get him to take one. Finally we tried the "Happy Baby" brand and he loved it. They're nothing special to look at - just the old fashioned cherry shaped teat. Worth a try if you haven't already. xx

Hi Enigma!

Aleise took her dummy when she was 2 days old as I gave it to her in hospital and unbelievably she held it there herself! I've heard it has a lot to do with if the baby was sucking on his/her hand inside the womb - as Aleise was doing this and so did my neice.

Try to encourage Aneta to take it 'cause if they suck on their thumb it can create buck teeth (According to dentists as my DH used to be a Dental Nurse). MAybe you could ask your health nurse or doctor on your next visit on how to get her to take one?

Sorry I couldn't help much but good luck!

i think it's quite common for b''fed babies to prefer the real thing :P
    both mine never wanted a dummy - it made them dry reach...

a baby that young may not be able to go even an hour between feeds sometimes ... i'm not sure if tou are breast/bottle feeding but a baby that little crying is probably a late sign of hunger...

its not really that long before you can comfort them without them wanting to suck something really - my dd is 17.5 months now and much prefers a cuddle to a b'feed if she is upset (unless she's hungry/tired of course!)