Thread: dummies

maggie Guest

Default dummies

Hi

DS is 14weeks today, and i would love him to use a dummy, i know many of you problay think what???? anyhow i find that he uses my boob quite often for comfort.. i have several diff dummies, the cheap ones to the more expensive, but it seems like they dont fit perfect in his mouth, iykwim, like he doesnt get a good grip on them, so he spits it out if i let go of it in his mouth..

what dummies have people tried and their bubs have loved straight away.. is it too late to introduce a dummy.. i thought it could come in handy for settling etc..

I always found the Pigeon ones from the Chemist worked well for Aidyn, as well as Avent.

Goodluck

We didn't introduce a dummy to Imran until he was about 4 months. Yasin started using one at about 2 months.
    Imran is really, really fussy about his dummy. The only ones he likes are the mam ulti latex ones - trust my little fusspot to favour the most expensive dummy on the market. I only found out by accident when I came across an old one of Yasin's and cleaned it up and tried it out.
    I've tried substituting other ones that are similar but he always spits them.
    Some babies never take to dummies - Imran still only wants his sometimes. There are positives to babus not wanting a dummy - no getting up in the middle of the night to replace it, no looking through every pharmacy and supermarket in a suburb trying to find the only dummy bubs likes, no worrying about cleaning it, no finding one before going out....

We use Avent dummies for Jesse and he has no problems with them. The teat is slightly flat rather than being completely round and they seem to sit in his mouth better. We've tried a few different brands and the others never really stayed in his mouth or he didnt like them.
    Some babies just dont take to dummies at all. My sister's kids didnt and i inherited all of her dummies. So if he doesnt like them its a normal thing too.

maggie have you tried the next size up?? purhaps it's too small which is why it keeps falling out, worth a try.

Debbie Lee Guest

I found that the only dummies that would stay in Gabby's mouth were the Nuk newborn dummies because they are shaped to mould over the mouth.
    Apparantly they don't rate well with "Choice" tho. They're a choking hazard.
    Gab has a really small mouth and has never attempted to put the whole thing in her mouth so we've had no issues there. She still uses them now.... tho she'll take just about any brand.

mooshie Guest

we found avent dummies the best for our dd.

ds had the nuk ones and they were great for him, so i got a heap of nuks whilst preg, but dd didn't want a bar of them, so we tried half a dozen or so until we found that the avent ones were the best for her.

good luck on the dummy search

We had the same problem with Tori, she hated dummies and would spit themout or gag on them. I would try about once a week to give her a dummy and eventually she took one, she uses the Heinz baby basic orthodontic shaped ones and loves them. They cost about $8 for 2 but have lasted her really well and they rated very well on the choice test for saftey

Annika's Mummy Guest

Annika will take just about any brand, but definetely has a preference for the Tommee Tippee ones. They seem to stay in her mouth longer too!

Mya never took to a dummy till she was about 4 months old. Even then she would still spit it out or it would just fall out. I used to just hold it in her mouth till she was asleep(i only gave it to her to get her to sleep). She only used it untill she was 8 months old. I can't remember why i took it away from her.
    I used the nuk newborn dummy & she loved it

*Kristee* Guest

I use Nuk newborn dummies with dd as they are the only ones she likes and like Gaby (debbie lee) she only has a small mouth so they fit well.

Hi -
    My son would only take a dummy for a little while and the one he would finally take was the happy baby dummy so perhaps try that one as it is one of the less expensive ones.

Now he no longer takes the dummy but prefers the happy baby teethers - as he prefers to chew then to suck.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Riv seems to like the Nuk ones the best...or his fist (an ideal scenario for Riv would be if he could fit the dummy AND his fist :P).

With the spitting out the dummy, I find that I sometimes have to hold it in River's mouth til he starts his 'dummy suck' cos he starts with the 'nipple suck' action and then realises 'nope, this isn't working' and changes his type of suck and then the dummy stays in. Good luck finding something that works for you!