Thread: Dummies & bottles

Default Dummies & bottles

Hi, just would like to get feedback about 2 things:

1. What dummy do you use? Did you get one that you weren't happy with or had problems with?

2. Bottle feeding - I am thinking of doing this with breast milk so that DH can also use feeding time as bonding - did you use a particular brand & what did you think?

I tried the cherry shaped dummies, as this is what I was told was best as I was breastfeeding. However Milo refused to take to a dummy and has still not had one. Just look for large shields as there have been recent problems with smaller (NUK) shields where the whole dummy has ended up in babys mouth.

Again if you are b/f, most LCs will recommend the longest teats with the smallest holes to start with. I just bought the pooh bear 6 pack at target and got small sized teats at the supermarket.

You will also likely be recommended against either/both until breastfeeding is well established.

I think is also depends on the baby. I had Avent bottles for Mackenzie but she sucked too much air in even though these are meant to be like a nipple - I ended up using Nuk bottles and dummies. (I also started with Avent dummies but changed because I thought she would prefer to the same as her bottle - but who really knows!) With this bub I will be using the Nuk bottles again but stearing away from the Nuk dummies due to what rayray has said. A friend of mine was BFing and when she tried to get her son to drink her expressed milk from the bottle it took her a long time to find one that he liked. I think she spent about a week and many $ trying all different brands. So back to my opening sentence sometimes it depends on the baby!

1. dummys hate them but did buy tommee tippee and some cherry teatones just in case
    2. bottles I had originally planned just what you are thinking I got given and bought some tommee tippee closer to nature, once we realised we couldn't b/f I also got some avent I used both types no dramas till we moved to size 3 teats then I packed the tommee ones away and stuck with avent

1. We've always used Avent dummies for Jesse. Basically cos the shield is big enough not for him to put the whole thing in his mouth, unlike the Nuk ones, even though he still tries. Theyre also a really nice design i think.

2. We use Avent bottles too. I just love the avent brand actually. He's used them since he was 9 days old and has never had any problems. I liked the idea of it being a wider teat than other bottles to mimick the booby and also the anti-colic teat. Theyre a little more expensive than other bottles but i think theyre worth it, as you can also once theyre older transform them into sippy cups.
    We've again never had any problems with Avent.

Hi everyone, thanks for your great feedback. Maybe I will put a few brands on my 'wish list' for the baby shower & see what I end up with. I had heard about the NUK dummies causing problems, apparently Choice also dont recommend them.

I'm sure our bubs will work out whether or not it likes what, they dont know anything about brands!! (LOL).

Thank you

we had avent dummies but DD wouldn't use it. we were recommended to get cheap old cherry teat dummies from the supermarket, so we got the tommee tippee ones and DD loves it. We have avent bottles and teats. DD has only had 2 bottles with EBM as we went out and she was with nanna and she had no problems - guzzled the milk! no problems with breastfeeding since introducing the dummy either. we are going to do the same thing with EBM and DH but i've got to get around to expressing first!

Dummies- Happy Baby (best review and the cheapest )

Bottles- Avent

If you check out the choice website, it has reviews on things like dummies and bottles aswell.

We initially tried the Happy Baby dummies as they are so cheap and so highly recommended for BF'd bubs... Xander wouldn't have a bar of them. He would only take the Nuk ones, but then I found the Heinz ones which are the same but a bigger shield so have been using them. I recently tried a Happy Baby one again (after Xander throwing all his Heinz ones out the pram and loosing them) and he now takes them! yay.

As for bottles, he refuses the Avent ones... so I used Pigeon which was brilliant, but his suck got too strong for them and he could suck the teat out of the bottle (very messy!). Have since used Nuk bottles/teats with great success. He now however mostly uses a Pigeon MagMag sippy cup/straw cup.

clare076 Guest

Shelby was started on those cherry shaped dummies, but she did and still does gag on them. She loves her NUK dummy, and we have never had a problem with her putting it all in her mouth. I think the "starlight" NUK dummies where the ones that caused the trouble - the shield is smaller and alot thinner, also you have to make sure you buy the size suitable for your child.

After many changes we eventually used the NUK bottles until around 10 months and once we stopped using the AR formula we went to Avent bottles.

for dummies i use avent or nuk

And for the bottle I loved the tommee tippee closer to nature they are great!!

Happy baby dummies are the best for us, I find the silicone is not soft enough.

and definatley AVENt bottles... even tho i dont meed so may I have about 20... and just about everything of mine is Avent too..
    the Avent breast pump is great too!!

Hello, we always used NUK dummies, the specific model that Choice does not recommend is the streamlined "starlight" model, the others (older style) are fine.

Sorry I can't help with the bottle teats, we always cup-fed DD her EBM!

1. We use Nuk dummies or Avent. Chelsea hates the avent ones tho!

2. We use Avent, Nuk or Happy baby. With the happy baby they have stupid teats so go buy some better ones with a better flow. Chels def loves Avent the best.

For dummies - the ONLY one he has ever happily sucked on is a cherry shape - either happy baby or tomee tippee interchangeably

For bottles - I gave Fergus EBM for 14 months and the ONLY teat he has ever happily and consistently drank from is the pigeon peristaltic (wide neck). I used these teats in either pigeon or avent bottles. We had this teat recommended by a number of lactation consultants and speech therapists for use when breastfeeding. Not sure whether I agree though, given my only experience of these things is with Fergus - a notoriously fussy feeder!