Thread: Dummies,buck teeth and word pronounciation??

Default Dummies,buck teeth and word pronounciation??

My mum has pointed out to me that my son's teeth look to be a little buck (not really buck but a little protruding) and told me that it's from his dummy. I've also noticed that he pronounces some words with a little bit of a lisp. You reckon that all this has to do with the dummy?

DS was harder to understand when he had his dummy in his mouth, but once he took it out, I understood him fine?

He gave up his dummy before he turned 3 (think he was about 2 months off or something like that), and he has no speech problems, and no buck teeth. So I dunno - in my situation, dummy didn't do anything to him.

S still has his dummy and is three and half. He speaks very clearly - always has - but does have a bit of a lisp, then so does his cousin, who's never used a dummy. I spoke to the CHN about his teeth and she said they look fine, they are a little uneven but she said that's more to do with how teeth grow and by the time he's four or five they even up.

I sucked my thumb for years as a small child and never had to have braces, teeth are quite even (crooked on the bottom, but that's genetic, Mum and sister are exactly the same).

We would love for S to give up his dummy but he just doesn't work with ultimatums or bargains. T gave hers up before she was 18 months... with S it just seems to be taking more time. He does have nights where he sleeps without it, though, and we praise him loads and make a big fuss. We're just hoping those nights will become more frequent and he'll slowly grow out of it.

Both of my children had dummy's and neither of them have teeth issues or lisps. I think DS was about 2 when he gave his up, DD was about 18 months. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere it was unrelated, will try and find the info.