Thread: Dummies - good or bad?

Default Dummies - good or bad?

Hi girls

Our parents keep asking us if we are using a dummy for Julia, we havent yet, they keep saying that if we dont use a dummy she will end up with crooked teeth...is this true???

We are interested to hear from you all to see if you use a dummy or not and why so then we can discuss what we would like to do.

thanks girls.

Bel
    xxx

Belle hon, you just gotta do what is right for you guys... I say do whatever works. We aren't using a dummy 'cos Xander wouldn't take one and we didn't persist with it as it just wasn't that important to us... besides, I've got the best pair of dummies on the front of my chest which never need sterilising and they always work to settle him (oh, and I can't loose them).

Oh, neither I, nor my sister used a dummy as a baby, and we both have the most perfectly straight teeth.... whereas DH did, and he needed braces. I really don't think there is much correlation to dummy use vs crooked/straight teeth... I'm sure someone will be able to answer better tho.

Hi Bel - there are all sorts of myths out there about using/not using a dummy but I haven't heard that one before. Some babies don't like dummies, so they make the decision for you LOL!!! Chelsea had a dummy until the age of 2, then she gave it up with no hassle (she has no teeth problems). Marley also has one, but rarely sleeps with it. She sucks on it for a little while, then will spit it out. Once you start using a dummy, you can run into problems when the baby spits it out and wakes you have to keep going in to put in back which can get frustrating. Until they get to an age when they can find it themselves. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Hey Belle

Rans and I both had dummies, he needed braces and I didn't!
    I ummed and ahhed about a dummy for River, cos I'd heard that dummies could damage teeth or cause nipple confusion. But he doesn't get confused between the dummy and the boob, cos he spits the dummy out if he's hungry!

And as Rans put it, he had braces, and the experience didn't kill him, so if that's the worst that happens from using or not using a dummy...not the end of the world.
    Like Anna says, you've gotta do what works for you, River comfort sucks so it's great for me, cos he'd be on the breast all the time if he could I reckon! Sometimes he's in the mood for his dummy, sometimes he's content without it...I just go with the flow.

If you think a dummy would help you, then go for it I reckon, but if you don't see the need, then don't use one! I'm sure whatever you decide will be just fine.

Hi,
    my DS had a dummy till he was old enough to find his fingers, he then spat the dummy and gained a thumb! So now the drama i have is getting rid of the thumb sucking. Its not as easy as chucking it in the bin as it is attached to him. But i have noticed he has a little lisp because he sucks his thumb ALL the time. I didnt have a dummy although i do need braces (my teeth are crooked) but i sucked my fingers, like neverplan said if she is 2 months and settles i wouldnt worry.
    Goodluck..

Kaitlyn is obsessed with her dummy..but we try very hard to limit it to bed time only because that is what I would personally prefer..not Kaitlyn though!.

But I think every child is different and you need to do whatever makes you and your DS happy ...remember you are the one with your DS all day so you really do know best.

I honestly don't think its that cut and dry (as in good or not). It depends on the parent, and the child. It depends on your personality what you can cope with what you can't. If you introduce any type of comfort (even yourself) you have to be sure you can deal with helping them to give it up eventually. Don't start a trend if you don't want it to continue, or if you can't deal with changing it eventually.

I never had a problem with Paris, we introduced it to help her sleep and thats all she had it for ever. When she was 18 mths we took it when she got a cold as she wasn't using it, and she never asked for it again. Seth has one and he only has it of a night time or naptime too and he's fine

This type of discussion could go on for decades LOL you just have to know within yourself what you are comfortable with. And what's best for your child.

*hugs*
    Cailin

tiggy Guest

The girls are all right, it really is up to you!
    My girls all had dummies. The twins gave theirs up at 2 1/2 and Lily didn't give hers up until 3 1/2. They only had them for sleep times and for comfort. When Ivy and Noah came along, I just expected that they would use a dummy too. Ivy does. She has it for sleep but unlike the girls she spits it out once she is asleep and Noah never ever took to one, although now he likes to steal Ivy's and wave it in the air!
    One out of the three girls looks as though she will need braces. Dave and I both had dummies and my teeth are straight and David needed the works!
    I just don't think there is a correlation with the dummy/no dummy/ straight teeth story.
    Good luck with your decision!

I dont think if you dont use a dummy your kids will have crooked teeth is true. My sisters kids didnt take to dummies and their teeth are perfectly fine.

Jesse uses dummies because at an early age all he wanted to do was suck otherwise he'd cry. Before i switched him to the bottle even though he was full of milk he'd just like to sit there with my boob in his mouth for comfort. He now loves his dummies so we let him(just not at night otherwise id be up every 5 minutes when he drops it!).
    But it is totally up to you if you want to introduce them or not. If Julia is happy without them, then dont bother, but if she is constantly grisly or something then you may wish to give them a try. She may not even take to them if you do offer them, the same as my sister's kids

LOL i haven't heard this one before either!
    have heard the opposite worry.
    but yep the girls are right - theres no proof that dummies effect teeth (or that no dummy effects teeth LMAO:P) - and same with thumbs - only if they thumbsuck until an advanced age (like 12) and theres still a chance their teeth will be fine!

my DD's both used me as a dummy and i was pleased with that;lol

Fire Fly Guest

First of all id be saying to your parents is 'this is our bub so back off!'. It really narks me when family think they know best.

Anyway, im not a dummy fan. I dont like habits like that, just like i dont use bottles with teats for water or milk. Id rather use a sippy cup. My kids have done fine without a dummy and id never try to introduce it. *thats just me though*.

Each to there own and do whatever works for you. My issue i think is the bub is crying for a reason so why not try to fix the problem than prolong it iykwim.

Yep I agree re sucking Sometimes a baby just wants to suck and it definitely helps with wind.

*hugs*
    Cailin

I didn't think i would give Charlie one but when he got flewn to melbourne on the day he was born the Air ambulance Doctor asked if we had one. Then when i got to melbourne the next day he already had it. I don't know if i would have made the choice or not. But it is personal choice.