Thread: Dummies help prevent SIDS??

Default Dummies help prevent SIDS??

This is part of an article that is in the new Coles Baby magazine:

It is a red hot topic, and one that has split the medical fraternity. Does sucking a dummy reduce a baby's risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)?

In one corner we have the American Academy of Paediatrics, which last December revised its guidelines to endorse the use of dummies at naptime and bedtime throughout a baby's first year.

In the opposite corner are the moderates such as SIDS and Kids Australia, whose scientific advisory group believes current research into the dummy's effect on SIDS is inconclusive.

The pro-dummy research speculates that a dummy's bulky handle might prevent a baby suffering accidental lack of oxygen from having his face buried in blankets or underneath an adult's body, or that sucking one improves the development of a baby's airways....

But although a new study, led by Dr De-Kun Li of the research division at Kaiser Permanente, shows that dummy use could but the risk of SIDS by as much as 90 per cent, not everyone is convinced that pacifiers are a panacea for cot death....

SIDS and Kids Australia spokeswoman Janet Carey says its scientific advisory group "does not believe there is sufficient evidence to put out a statement saying babies should use dummies".
    There is more obviously but this gives you the gist of it. So what do you think? Anyone else read this? My kids have dummies (Harry just recently gave up his) but I never thought they could prevent SIDS. I don't think I would give my child a dummy just for that reason though as they do have negative sides but it's an interesting idea.

mooshie Guest

Bon

I was actually told this by my sids counsellor after i had lani. she rang me not long after lani was born to see how i was coping (after the death of jessica, sids gave me and still do counsell us) anyway she told me about the research re dummies which i found interesting.

lani only has her dummy for sleeping and never has it during the day, my son had his dummy constantly until he was 4yrs old lol. i actually find it a great tool for getting her to bed, when i say its bed time, she runs off and says no no no and i say oh don't you want your dummy and she runs over to me saying nigh nighs mummy to cute.

Yeah I heard this. Altho the reason that I heard was that the sucking stops them going into that deep deep sleep that is the danger with SIDS.

I also heard that it was inconclusive tho, and we chose not to use a dummy at all, especially during the first 6 weeks, as I didn't want nipple confusion with breastfeeding (ABA said it's best not use bottle or dummy for about 6 weeks). I've only JUST given Tallon a dummy in the last week or so, and he rarely takes it, and even when he does, it's dropped out his mouth within 5 mins anyway.. so there's no chance of it being there to keep blankets off his face! hehe.

All except 1 of my kids has had the dummy. I love them. If there is even a tiny chance that it could prevent SIDS I think its a great idea. As long as you keep it clean and its not a hygiene issue I dont see the problem

I have heard about this to ....Kaitlyn loves her dummy at bedtime.

i think the 'idea' that dummies can help prevents sids may have stemmed from the (proven? ) theory that from breastfeeding reduces sids due to the sucking and the benefits of breastmilk.
    dummy users who don't breastfeed would only be getting the sucking benefit, but not the breastmilk benefit...

reason 26 on this list shows that studies have been done on breastfed babies / formula fed babies and sids. interesting reading

and on a related note, this was recently in the news regarding safe dummy use and recalled brands.:eek:

fwiw my kids were never interested in a dummy - only me:P

Yes I read this too. The version of it I saw did not say why it was thought dummies helped prevent SIDS so it was not very helpful really =) WM does use a dummy as it happens but not for that purpose.

angelfish Guest

Personally I wouldn't let this sway me either way, as the research seems not to be conclusive. While many SIDS deaths are a tragedy where you can't pinpoint the cause, as I understand it the biggest single risk factor is passive smoking, followed by other things such as sleeping position, safety of the bed, cot or bassinet, etc. All other things being equal, breastfeeding is usually the best source of sucking and would provide all the advantages of a dummy and then some. But having said that, I definitely think there is a place for dummies, especially with bottlefed babies as it is not recommended to leave the bottle in the mouth for long periods. I used a dummy for one of my children and not the other, we didn't see it as any big deal.

Basically what it comes down to is they still don't know why SIDS occurs, but they do know that certain practices will help to lower the risk. Hence the recommendations about not smoking, no blankets/pillows/soft toys in the cot, sleeping baby on his/her back etc. Dummy use is just another possibility but as the article said, SIDS and Kids Australia is not convinced.