Thread: dummy

Default dummy

my 12 week old daughter has just taken to the dummy, however i am unsure of how to use it with her and when to offer it to her. ie, during the day at play times, to get to sleep then remove it, during sleep etc?

today she quietened when it was offered to her asi was rocking her to sleep and then half an hour into sleep she awoke when it fell out of her mouth and then she was wide awake, (though still tired). is there anything i can do do avoid this happening?

anything else i need to know about how to avoid the pitfalls associated with using a dummy?

I totally agree Mads, if it helps your sanity then do it!

Amber has her's when she's going to sleep on some nights, others she wont have a bar of it. I got her a glow in the dark one and now she puts it back in herself if she wants it and can find it easily. But same as Freya, usually by the second time I it falls out she's out to it.

Good Luck and remember to do whatever works for you and your bub!

The only time Aneta is without a dummy is when we are playing with her ( because we want to see the smiles! ) ... other than that , when she's unsettled , or going to sleep etc she always has her dummy - She has woken once or twice because her dummy fell out , but usually her dummy falls out ( or she spits it out ) when she is fast asleep and she doesnt want it anymore.
    Im hoping it will be easy to get rid of it one day

Mya only used a dummy for about 3-4 months. I only gave it to her when she was really tired. She would fall asleep almost instantly. If it fell out i would pop it back in . But this was when she was falling asleep while i was holding her or we were laying together,so it wasn't a hassel to put it back in her mouth. When she was fast asleep i would take it out of her mouth & put her in her cot for the night.
    I'm going to try not to use one with the next bubba, but as the other ladies said..... whatever helps keeps u sane! so i probably will use one

DD used a dummy and still does, but only for sleep and nap times. She's getting kinda old for one now i think, but she never wakes if it falls out. She'll either put it back in herself or sleeps fine without it. When she can understand what's happening, I'll take it away. DS doesn't use one and I'm trying not to give him one if i can help it. (touch wood) he's a great sleeper (please don't hit me lol). But if that changes and i am going insane and have tried everything else, I might give it a go.

Charlie only has his dummy now if he is going to bed. He is pretty good other than that. When he was younger he had it a fair bit but he is starting to spit it out if he doesn't want it -whichi am glad he has learnt to do that.

We give Jesse a dummy during the day and thats fine (he'll spit it out if he doesnt want it), but night time i always remove it if he's fallen asleep with it, otherwise id be up every 5 minutes when he drops it. During the day, if i put him down in his cot with it, ill remove it once he's fallen asleep for the same reason. For some reason it falling out of his mouth wakes him up, buts hes fine if we pull it out. Maybe when hes a little older and is able to put it back in himself i may give it to him at night if he wants it but i need my sleep atm