Thread: Dummy removal/weaning from a 3 month old

Default Dummy removal/weaning from a 3 month old

Hi everyone, I have started using Tizzie Hall's book Save our Sleep - its been working great, but I am having big issues with removing the dummy. Bubs has had it since day one and well its really become more of a problem than a help - for more than just a sleep reason. She likes to have it more than just to sleep and now that she can coo and babble a lot she has started to do it whilst its in her mouth or on the bottle

I am desperate to remove it completely, as her day sleeps are really bad, every 15 min I am going back to her bassinet to put it back - she never gets to that deep sleep mode and constantly whines when it falls out. But her night sleeps are fine! she has her dummy to settle when it falls out she doesn't care... I have been told to teach her how to put it back - errmm.. yeh! pfft. Or remove it completely and be prepared for 3 days and 3 nights of hell on earth. Surely there has to be a nice way I have successfully removed it most mornings during her "up" time but when she grizzles and wants to sleep she wants her dummy. I'm not quite ready to start operation *NO DUMMY* but its the only thing that I can seem to find out there!

Help!

Default Dummy removal/weaning from a 3 month old

We did it cold turkey. Mitchell was a pretty poor sleeper and without the dummy saw some improvement.

It was hard for the first few days but all fine now.

We used Tizzie Halls book as well, started at about 8 weeks and we just went cold turkey with the dummy. It was 3 days of a not so very happy bubba but after that he didn't even miss it. He only has it now if we are trying to stretch out the time before his next feed but even then he is no very interested in it.

I know its hard but its totally worth it in the end, he is a completely different bubba so much happier, he sleeps 4 hrs during the day (2 2hr sleeps) and sleeps from 7 till 7 with a dreamfeed at 10.30.

Mine slept fine with a dummy, I think taking it off them at 3 months is a bit mean they are still so tiny and obviously like it.
    I guess you have to decide whether or not you really want to tough out the bad days to get her over it.

We just went with the flow with the dummy - had many trips to baby's room in the night to 'recork' her if it fell out. That dummy was critical to our sanity for a long long time.

However, she just stopped using it on her own when she was around 1, I think. We didn't actually do anything. We were worried she'd still be using it when she was 15 or something but it seems that worry was unfounded

New baby refuses dummies point blank. We bought one for him so DD#2 tries to give it to him, fails, and then briefly sticks it in her own mouth