Thread: Dummy similar to Happy baby

Default Dummy similar to Happy baby

I have been using happy baby dummies for DS, but after seeing the stories in the news recently about them, would like to change to something else.

Does anyone know what other dummies there are out there that are similar to these?

Thanks

Sorry, no idea Kellie! What's the issue with Happy baby dummies? Have you tried a different kind of dummy (like a silicone one) with him?

Tommee Tippee have a similiar cherry shaped dummy - they just have a more oblong mouth bit (sorry no idea what the name)!

we do have one of the tommee tippee ones, but I dont think he likes it as much

Trish - there have been 2 seperate cases reported in the media of the latex part breaking off in bubs mouth and becoming a choking hazard... one on a 6 week old bub

EEK! That's definitely a big worry. Have you tried a different kind of dummy altogether? We use Avent ones here, J used to use Nuk ones.

To be honest I wonder how carefully they where checking the teat cause I have used happy baby dummies at work and at home for years and the first signs of wear on the teat out they go. I find the teat almost impossible to rip off if they are intact but with a hole in them it is much easier. I think the only other cherry ones I have seen are the tommee tippee ones but I don't think the actual teat part is as big.

Default Dummy similar to Happy baby

I think what's happened with the Happy Baby dummies could happen with any dummy, so I don't know that getting another brand would reduce the risk.

I'm using Happy Baby dummies and DS likes them - they're also the ones used by the hospital where I birthed, and recommended by my Doula. I've checked both of mine and they seem securely attached, but I agree with MuminAlice, any sign of wear then I'll chuck them.

Tbh, I think the media-storm is worse than the risk itself.

The tommee TIppee ones come in both cherry teat and ortho teat - neither of my kids would take the ortho teat and the cherry ones are harder to get - but exactly the same as the happy babies ones.

I got DD2 the tommee tippee ones and she just won't take them. She loves the Happy Baby ones too much. Just make sure that you check them before and after each use and you should be ok.

I got the tommee tippee cherry ones from my woolies, so they may have them. The happy baby ones don't last long once they have teeth either I find.

Yep another happy happy baby dummy user here lol well not me DD!! The cherry latex ones were recommended to me too but really its all DD would take. We have a couple of the cherry tommee tippee ones but she def preferes happy baby. I check them regularly and haven't had a issue.As soon as the start getting a bit flat I throw them out.

Naturasutten natural soothers
    A green non toxic product made from the sap of a rubber tree.Does not contain
    . BPA's
    . Chemical Softeners
    . Parabens
    . PVC's
    . Phthalates
    Due to the special moulding of this product the dummies are extremely hygenic and they will not leave a mark on your babies face.

I have used and loved these dummies, you may have to search online for them, they are currently changing distributors for them in Australia. Another brand is makeuwell soothers, same thing except they have a hole on the other side of the teat, I like the natursutten brand as it is one piece no seams or holes anywhere and all natural untreated rubber! both cherry or orthodontic shapes!

Hope you get them!

I actually think by law they have to have holes in the guard in case the guard goes into the mouth, that way they can still breath.

it has holes in the shield but not in the teat, hard to explain. Have a look at the images the whole soother is natural rubber including the shield, they are very popular in europe.

oh sorry, my misunderstanding

I used happy baby after he was introduced to him in the special care nursery.....after tryin a heap of diff ones at home I finally found one that is almost identical to the happy baby ones but seems much better quality....they are the mothercare brand cherry shaped natural latex newborn soothers...harder to get because mothercare only have the two stores in Melbourne so far but a great alternative....he also hates the tommee tippee ones.

the soother I am talking about will be available again at ecochild it is currently out of stock till August, also natureschild, perhaps another retailer may have some online, there are quite a few selling these soothers now not only because of the health benefits no toxins at all, but the soother is made out of one piece of rubber, there are no seams or cracks or pieces that can come off or contain little nasties.