Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dummyholics Anonymous

Default Dummyholics Anonymous

Hi my name is thepixie and my DD is a dummyholic. It's been two weeks since her last dummy. She still asks for it several times a day (her favourite one, the 'onage' one), usually accompanied by tears. When she is tired or angry or hurts herself she asks for it. We have explained that she is a big girl now and doesn't need it anymore, but she is struggling with it. We stopped BFing at the same time and that doesn't seem to have caused anywhere near as much of an issue for her. I struggle sometimes to hold my resolve, sometimes because it can be a struggle to deal with a day of tantrums when I know if I gave her a dummy she would be a quiet little lamb, and sometimes because I feel for her finding it so hard to give up.
    Anyone else going through withdrawal who wants to be my sponsor when I'm ready to cave?

We're not quite at the point of addiction here, but my friend's daughter was such a dummyholic that when my friend denied her addiction she STOLE dummies off the babies at her crèche, straight out of their mouths!

She also nicked one out of the rubbish bin when her Mum had thrown it away

Last night we were at friends' house and their nearly three year old offered her one when she was very tired/ past bedtime/ on couch with a blankie not the 3 year old's fault though, she didn't know....

Ok DD is nearly 3.5 and STILL has one OVER it - she only has it at nap time and bedtime but we are well and truly ready for it to go. Ours is going to the "Dummy Fairy" who is going to leave something behind to say thanks to DD for giving her dummies to the baby fairies who need them I am aiming for the school holidays because I am worried about how she will go so I will definitely hold your hand! How has your DD been today after last night Pixie?

My 3yo still has a dummy - only at bedtime. She leaves her dummy on her pillow when she gets out of bed and doesn't touch it until nap time or bedtime at night. I don't know how to break the habbit - my 2 yo also has a dummy as does my 11 month old. We have dummies all over the house and I am not sure it is going to be an easy habbit to break. No-one really knows she still has a dummy because it is only a bed time thing and we don't discuss it with our other friends who were anti-dummy to start with. My brother had a bottle until he was 6. My mum threw his bottle away, but because we had a younger brother, he would steal my other brother's bottle until Mum gave up trying to stop him. He eventually stopped using a bottle by himself. I am a bit worried that there would be some dummy stealing going on if I was to stop dummy use. I am kind of hoping she will give it up on her own sometime ... is that being too wishful?

ETA: We posted at the same time. So glad to know I am not alone in the 3 yo with a dummy!
    Last edited by Just Me; August 23rd, 2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Adding info

I have a DD with a nearly 24hour a day habbit i am scared at the thought of rehab I think we need to start weening her off so we can quit the habbit soon

And here's me feeling awful about my 20 month old still having a dummy!

He's a total addict. It doesn't help that he's teething... We try to keep it only for sleep times, but now that it appears he's developing asthma he's just so unhappy and we usually give in for the sake of peace. I can't take it off him when he wakes up - I just have to wait for him to give it up for some reason and hope that I'm quick enough to grab it and hide it before he gets it back in his mouth again!

He doesn't have a word for dummy yet... but he walks around with his hand smooshed into his face when he's desperate for one...

I actually have the horrible feeling that the dummy will be like his wrap - needed for day sleeps up until he stops having day sleeps is my prediction!

BW

Yep, you can add my DD to the list. She is just over 2 1/2 and it took sooooo much effort, frustration and tears to reduce the dummy usage to bed and nap time only, but she STILL asks for it during the day or sneaks it out of her room when she thinks I am not watching. And yep, every time she is tired or hurts herself, she starts wailing for it. I have found it so hard to stick to my guns at times and I shudder to think of how I am going to get it off her for good....

FYI, I didn't have a dummy BUT I sucked my thumb until I was 8y/o. My Mum encouraged me to stop, but didn't want to pressure me. I put a lot of pressure on myself though, because at 8 y/O I was too afraid to go on sleepovers in case my friends discovered that I was a thumb-sucker. I don't know how, but at some point I just stopped sucking and settled myself to sleep without it. At least the dummies can be removed...thumbs can't!

We havent admitted to be addicted to dummies. Still in the denial phase and not accepting that we need help.

On a helpful note to others, DD has a soft cuddle toy that I tell her to go and get and give a cuddle to whch she does and it calms her down quite quickly.

If it helps anyone at all - DS was ridiculously addicted to his and gave it up just before he turned 3. A couple of days asking for it, and then being explained to that the dummy fairy took it - and heres a present for being such a good boy - he gave it up quite easily.

So even if the mountain seems to big to climb guys - it may not be as bad as you are expecting. Just buy lots of little presents around from the "dummy fairies" for them being so big and brave at giving up their dummies

BellaBambina - mine has a soft toy too!! It changes every few weeks but she won't sleep without it! Same with J who also has his teddy that he is very attached too but no dummy for him thanks goodness!
    JM - DD's dummy falls out of her mouth all the time while she is sleeping and that is why we are up a million times a night. Drives me nuts because J sleeps through from 7-7 but she will lose the dummy in the night and wake us up to help her find it. 4 weeks - it's GOING!!!!

We're trying to introduce a toy for Sam to cuddle in order to replace the dummy - not really working just yet. But I'm also quite happy to say that he's still really little and I won't really be trying too hard until he's older.

BW

Tanstar - Our DD's were born in the same month I realised looking at your sig (May 2007). Mine just uses her dummy to fall asleep but usually it falls out and if she wakes up in the night she puts it back in herself, but I think most of the time once it falls out, she doesn't use it again until morning when she wakes up and has a suck I think I would go postal if I had to get up and find her dummy all night long.

DD still has a dummy. Ive weaned her down to only sleeps now and next step will be only sleeps at home, not out. I did the same with DS and once he turned 3, it may sound cruel but it worked.. we told him once you turn 3 if you have a dummy your teeth will fall out. It worked though. He asked for it the first night i took it away and i reminded him theyre gone, and that was it. He was fine since. So, if nothing changes with DD, ill prob try the same trick.

Thank you all for the support! Nice to know I'm not alone with a toddler with a crack-like addiction to the dummy. We haven't made a big deal out of it, just stopped giving it to her, trying to give her lots of cuddles and support instead .... get kicked a lot these days though
    She has suddenly developed a thing for a little pink blankie she has had since she was born and will cuddle up on the couch with a blankie now. Helps in the evening but it's not the same. She does seem to be sleeping a fair bit better without it, so hopefully it has been worth it.
    For those with long term dummyholics, my younger brother had a dummy till he was 8

DS went cold turkey when he was just over 3! DH cut the tops off them all and DS said they were broken. It didn't stop him trying to buy new ones every time we went to a chemist though LOL He tried for about a month but now is over them.

DD1 was an addict until 4 when the dentist told her to give up so she gave the dummies - she had 4 - to the ducklings. We had them attached to little bears to try to get her to cuddle them but it didn't work. She gave them up when she was ready, and we said that school girls don't have dummies.

DD2 looks like she'll be doing the same. Since she is only 14 months, I'm not too worried yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast