Thread: ear infections in babies

Default ear infections in babies

When a baby or toddler gets an ear infection what part of the ear is infected? Is it the outside bit (in front of the eardrum) or the inside bit (behind the eardrum)? Does swimming affect it?
    I was asking because Yasin has a bit of an infection at the moment and DH and I were thinking of going for a swim tomorrow but if it will make his ears worse I geuss we won't - or we'll skip the dunking. Yasin will be sad because he loves his little dunks - he always comes up giggling.

I can't say that I know exactly where in the ear it would be infected however I would definitely keep his head above water.

The other thing you can do to help keep the water out is to get one of those ear bands, which is made out of wetsuit fabric and wraps around the head and velcros securely to stop/reduce the water getting in. Our pool sells them, maybe yours does too.

I was told with Matilda's middle ear infections to keep her head out of water. HTH!

Yep, keep the ear dry. My DD has just recovered from a middle ear infection, and the Doc said no getting it wet for 5 days (including showers etc) and then being extra careful to dry it or use ear plugs when swimming after that for a few weeks.

Because she's 4, I just use aqua ear after she swims.

My Nephew suffered constantly from ear infections, he wasn`t allowed his ears wet so I`d suggest no dunking for Yasin till his ears are clear JIC.

Pietta Guest

Ryley had a burst ear drum and once it had healed we had to leave him out of anything wet for i think it was 7 days.