Thread: Early Rising & Up time

krissie04 Guest

Default Early Rising & Up time

My Son is 5months this week and until daylight saving stopped he was sleeping to 7am. He now is waking around 5.30am, not crying more for the dummy i think and then will wake around 6.30am. Should i be feeding him when he wakes and do i put him back to bed as its still dark or do i keep him up for 2hours? Another question i have i find that alot of the time he doesnt want to be on the playgym with his toys to me he would rather be held but i try not to do this as much? Can i get any advice on both or are there other mums experiencing the same. Dont get me wrong he is a content and happy bub and loves his sleep but i find it hard in his up time to do the "tummy time" etc as he doesnt want to?? Just to add i havent started solids yet and he is bottlefed

My DD2 was 5 months yesterday and sounds very similar. She HATES tummy time so i only put her on her tummy for a couple of mins after each nappy change. When she has had enough i dont push it. This way she is getting a couple of mins a few times a day. She too likes to be held more than been put down. When she is been very unsettled i just carry her around in a sling. As for getting up early and needing feeding my DD goes to bed at 7pm and will wake for a feed about 3ish then will go back down however will then get up any where between 5 and 9!I too havent started solids yet and my DD is both formula and BF. She has 6 feeds in a 24 hour period. If your DS appears hungry when he wakes early i would feed him. After feeding my DD early morning i can generally tell if she is tired and should go back to bed some days yes others no we can be up from 5. I would just go on your DS and weather or not he is showing tired signs. HTH.

IMO I would try and get him back to sleep until 7am-7.30ish so you can start this as his wake up time and keep it around then. He will get used to this and it will be his wake up time for many years to come. If he goes back with a dummy at 5.30 then he isn't hungry. If he stays awake and is upset then feed him.
    Why don't you do tummy time for a few minutes then turn him? I think at this age they start wanting to be with you and are not so content just playing alone. I would still allow him time on his own but with you in view. Sometimes my DD grizzles on her own (i mean in her bouncer and me in the same room) but I don't mind as she gets plenty of time with my full attention. I will go and see her then go back to my housework/whatever. A baby carrier is also great as Hoody mentioned. I got an Ergo that works a treat and doesn't hurt my back.

In regards to the early wake up, I often hear Mums that say "oh you are sooo lucky, my child wakes at 5am each day" as Charlie usually sleeps til 7.30am perhaps a bit later. But having said that he still has a feed. Usually he wakes around 4am for it, but if he wakes when it's still dark...usually anytime before 6am & is crying not chatting away for half hour as he would normally when awake for the day, I offer a feed & treat it as night time & he always goes back to sleep no worries. Now with solids I just give him breakfast when he wakes instead of another feed. It depends if you want them to feed during the "night" so to speak or not. But IMO they usually wake early as they are hungry cause they've slept for a long period without a feed & will want that feed not long after they get up anyway. HTH.

Have you tried some tummy time why he is lying on you? Then he can see your face and feel you and might be a bit happier. A mirror that he can see while lying on his tummy can also help stretch out the time. Sometimes, bubs are a bit funny about tummy time just bc they can't see what is going on or want something to look at.

k