Thread: Eating, drinking and sleeping fine but......

Default Eating, drinking and sleeping fine but......

...DD has only gained 280gms and grown 2cm in 10weeks and 6days.........and I'm a bit shocked

At 26weeks&1day old, DD weighed 8.2kg and was 69cm long.
    At 37weeks, DD weighs 8.48kg & is 71cm long.

The CYH worker didn't seem fussed about it all otherwise I assume she would've said something. It was only when I went to write in DD's record book that I picked up on it

I was also told that this was a norm with bf babies that they slow down eventually with their growth. DD is bf 3.5 times a day (dinner is a tad fussy these days) but she completely chows down on her solids 3 times a day and then sleeps from approx 8pm til 6.30-ish am, with 2x 1&1/2hour naps (approx) during the day.....and she certainly does not look like she is wasting away!

I think my shock value came from having DD#1 be 8.2kg by the time she was 4 months old!! Lol!! So this smaller baby thing is all new to me!

Wow...thats not much growth is it!

DD1 is a very slow grower and weight gainer too...where as DD2 is going great guns!

Charly - everyone is different. We all come in different shapes and sizes. As long as she's still following her graph and the Child & Youth nurses aren't bothered, don't worry yourself unnecessarily. And don't forget, the older they are, the slower they grow. It's no-where near as fast or as much as it was in the early days.

I had the EXACT same concern with Caeleb, as he's quite a bit lighter than the other boys in our group. So, I spoke to a very nice doctor who told me that BF babies carry less bulk, but have denser bones than FF babies and that my little boy is perfectly NORMAL!

So, stop stressing and go back to enjoying those beautiful girls of yours!

:hugs:

Celsie. xoxox
    Last edited by Celsie; March 4th, 2008 at 04:49 PM.

I wouldn't worry either hun - they all grow at different rates. Izzy has always been above the 50th percentile on those stupid charts and at the last check had dropped right down to under the 25th - I put it down to lots of things, me going back to work, dropping some bfeeds, her only just starting to take some bottles, some days she won't eat alot of solids still, plus she is so active and on the go all day every day. My nurse wasn't too concerned either - she just said - oh its fine as long as it doesn't drop again at the next one, so she would be off the chart and didn't even want to see her between the 9 and 12 mth check! So enjoy and try not to worry too much!
    BTW Izzy was 7.8kgs at her 9mth check up - she is by no means skinny either! Still has a few rolls on her legs and that cute little fat roll on her wrist so it just goes to show they all grow at different rates and times!

*insert "phew" icon here!* lol!

Thanks girls! I needed that reassurance I think

Funny thing though, I went back to DD#1's record book to see how her weight/height progressed around the same time and between months 7 & 9 she lost 120gms and grew 2cm!! (she was a whole kilo heavier than DD#2 at the same time!) She has also gone from the 90% area of those charts when she was a bub to now, at just over 3yrs old, is in the 25% area, but eats like a horse!!!!!
    Charts shmarts...............

Thank you again all, my brain has relaxed xx