Thread: escaping the carseat belts!

DoubleK Guest

Default escaping the carseat belts!

our little 'houdini' (as DP calls her) manages to get her arms free from her seatbelt everytime she is in the car. no matter how tight we do them up, she gets her arms out - she wont give up till they are out, her little arms end up red from where she has forced them out! she winds down her window, reaches and pulls on the front passenger seatbelt... i dont know what to do anymore!

i have to pull over and undo the whole belt, then do it back up with her arms in... she will only do it once per trip, but still, i worry so much, what if i had an accident before i got the chance to pull over and fix her up.. id never forgive myself that she wasnt restrained properly.

arrggh does anyone have a magic solution to this problem? im thinking her belt needs an extra piece that goes across her chest, to hold the two straps together, so she cant climb out... not sure how to go about it tho...

You can buy an extra strap that joins them at the front somewhere - have seen them at toys'r'us I think??!!! Was obviously designed by a Mum with a little houdini like yours!!! Good Luck!

kimbaz was also having the same problems, maybe she found a solution!

We have the same problem and no Toys R Us nearby - does anyone have any other solutions?

My DS done the same thing aswell. I couldn't figure out how to stop it but after a couple of months he just got over it.. Luckily DD hasn't started sdoing it yet... although she is doing it when in the pram. Hopefully you can find an easy way to get her to stop doing it.

My DD a couple of times has actually learnt to unclip the button so the whole thing comes undone! Scared me, she always really studies what we do and picks up everything.

Quote Originally Posted by shellbell3 View Post
    My DD a couple of times has actually learnt to unclip the button so the whole thing comes undone! Scared me, she always really studies what we do and picks up everything.
    wow thats really scary that she can do that, strength wise. I think I would contact the manufacturer and ask if the buckle may be faulty. My3 and half yr old boy can't undo his....

We have a thing that does up around the 2 belts across their chest, so they can't get their arm between them and then get out that way.

Once we did that we haven't had the problem again... i'll have a search for it on the net and find out what they are called.

Matilda used to do the same. I did two things, one was put a strap in the middle so between the two arms up on the chest area. Does that make sense? Making a H. There is a company in WA which makes something you can put over the seatbelt connection to stop undoing the buckles.

Baby Bunnings!

They have whats called a Sercurewrap..my little Chelsea houdini kept doing the same and no longer can escape!

I use it in the pram now too

Ok, check out on google or ebay:

Hurphy Durphy Seat Belt Buckle Guard - this wraps around the button so they can't press the button - (we got in in MIL car as when she gave people lifts home they often accidently pressed the button for the car seat rather than their seat, and once she drove around with the toddler seat seatbelt not clicked in - i cracked it bigtime!)

SECURAP by Infa - wraps around the seat belt (or use on pram or highchair) to keep arms in place.

DoubleK Guest

thanks heaps!!!

im going shopping on Friday, i will keep an eye out!
    im worried she will figure out how to do the belt as well, but she doesnt seem to even try that... yet!!

Your lucky then Rach, Chelsea does try...and tries very hard! Only once has she managed to unlock the belt....no idea how...but not done it since that day.